Kinetix 300 - Micro 820 communication lag time

lurby

I am reading and writing to a Kinetix 300 using messgae instructions on the AB Micro 820 over Ethernet. I did this successfully using a ML 1100 a while back but now my distributor is pushing me towards the Micro 820 because the ML1100 is short lived.
I am using the UDFB's provided by AB and I can get it all to work but I seem to be experiencing quite a bit of lag. For example I have set up a JOG function which is basically a velocity move. Press the button, enable the drive, set the speed and go. Release the button and it stops. The drive then disables. It seems to take a long time between telling the drive to enable and then getting the signal back that I am indeed enabled before it will move. It does eventually go but it takes a good 5-10 seconds....
Once it moves and I release the button it stops. If I let it disable the timing issue starts all over again. If I press the button again quickly before it has had a chance to disable it takes off immediately.
I can view the drive status using the MotionView software. The drive is indeed enabling almost immediately. It's just that the PLC does not know it yet.
Is there a time setting for the communication back and forth? Could there be something else dragging me down?

Thanks in advance