PLC/HMI that can have a program using RTC

rscrivner

Hello everyone and thank you for your assistance before hand.

I have a request from a customer that wants to run a conveyor for only 15 to 30 seconds twice a day. No big deal easy enough. The problem is that this customer wants the conveyor to run only at 5 AM for 15 to 30 seconds and then be off until it is turned on again at 7 PM for 15 to 30 seconds. This is an every day routine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Only hardware for sure is a Minarik DC drive. Budget is a low as possible. I have been looking at a Maple HMI/PLC unit to see if it could provide this function but have not found that information yet.

Click PLC with Ethernet has a RTC. If you need an HMI to go with it, my preference is Red Lion but for cheaper there are C-Mores that work well with a Click.
https://www.automationdirect.com/ad..._(stackable_micro_brick)/plc_units/c0-10dre-d
That one has Ethernet and relay outputs. You can save a few dollars by going with the Standard instead of Ethernet version and if you want an interposing relay, you can get one with transistor outputs in either family. In my opinion, always go with the Ethernet models.

Rockwell have a similar product to the Logo called Micro 800. I have never used one, but I am sure it would have similar functionality.

Thank you Liam. I am looking into the Rockwell as well as the Maple systems. Just trying to see which one is cost effective and will still allow me to use the RTC as part of the ladder logic for the program.

If it's Rockwell, a MicroLogix 1100/1400 would work as well if you're more familiar with those.

To what accuracy is the turn-on event 5am and 7pm expected? 10minutes? 100ms? Is drift acceptable i.e. 05:00:00 one day and 05:00:01 a week later?

What determines how long the conveyor runs? is it the same every day? does someone turn it off manually?

Should the conveyor run on weekends?

What is the environment (indoors? outdoors? panel enclosure)?

We have battery-powered "candles," probably from Walmar, that we put in the windows every year around 01.December. when you screw in the bulb at 4pm, they light stay lit for 5-6h; with no more intervention they repeat that every day at the same time until we unscrew the bulb.

Even a minimal PLC is more than this project requires; but the greater bulk of the cost is going to be labor for the wiring and programming. So anything that has a clock could potentially work; this could be done in a spare laptop with a printer port and GWBasic.

Timer relay as LD writed would be most cost effective.
It only needs AC-supply and wiring from relay out to VFD start input.