You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old November 15th, 2013, 04:43 PM   #1
RBergmann
United States

UL508A GFCI Test

As many of us are involved in designing control panels as well as programming the PLCs that are installed in them, I have a customer who was cited by his inspector for the following:

He uses a GFCI outlet for most of his ICPs. The inspector told him that he must also have a testing schedule and signoff for the testing of the GFCI outlet. I've not heard of this. In my research in the latest UL508A Standard, I can find no reference to testing, or recording results of tests, of GFCI outlets. I realize there must be appropriate supplementary protection but a UL508A testing requirement for ICP installed GFCI outlets?

Anyone heard of this?
Old November 27th, 2013, 06:14 PM   #2
Lancie1
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

What a crock. I would be tempted to leave off the receptacle, or change to a non-GFCI.

I have seen little sheets that come with some GFCI receptacles for the owner to check off the dates when the GFCI was tested, but have not heard of forcing a secondary manufacturer to provide the test sheets.

Last edited by Lancie1; November 27th, 2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old November 27th, 2013, 06:20 PM   #3
RBergmann
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancie1 View Post
What a crock. I would be tempted to leave off the receptacle, or change to a non-GFCI.
My feeling is that the inspector is confusing other standards with UL508A. Some of these guys have more duties than just panel shops. He's (the inspector) the reason the GFCI is used in place of a standard receptacle. told my customer this was needed in UL508A panels. I ran a certified shop for 20 years and never heard of either the testing or GFCI requirement for a general use ICP. The one thing that was never mentioned is the labeling for a restricted max supplementary protection for the outlet.

Last edited by RBergmann; November 27th, 2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old November 27th, 2013, 07:28 PM   #4
JeffKiper
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

I think it is an NFPA call out for testing not a UL requirement.

FS Eng (TÜV Rheinland, #11004/15, Machinery)
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum