Powerflex drive and Add on Profile for Studio 5000

irondesk40

Just had to replace a powerflex 525 in a machine that has a allen bradley compact logix L24ER plc.
After installing the drive and setting it up through the front screen to have the correct IP address and to be controlled through ethernet the machine would not run.
After going online with my AB software i had a yellow exclamation mark beside the drive.
Had to download the latest AOP for the Studio 5000 software and then download the latest program into the plc after adding the new AOP.
The 525 drive had a newer firmware that was not recognized.

Is there a way around this so that in the future if a drive ever has to be replaced you do not have to be concerned about what version of firmware is in the drive?
Is ethernet really better or just use 0-10v so you do not have to worry about always have the correct Add on Profiles etc.

Thanks. Just watched a youtube video that explains it. It appears you have to make certain your drive is using at least firmware 5 or higher.
In the video it mentioned that fact in case you had some older powerflex drives with a older firmware version.

If you elect to do so, the “Firmware Supervisor” feature in Studio 5000 will, when ADC is enabled, force flash the firmware of a newly installed unit DOWN to the known working version for you automatically. It adds time to the ADC process of that unit because it has to do that BEFORE it loads the parameters back into the new drive, so the entire process may take 10 minutes or more, but it saves you from the hassle of doing it ahead of time. The one caveat is that it cannot force the firmware down across incompatible hardware changes, which is probably what was meant by that “version 5” comment and would actually apply to many of the “whole number” version changes (ie 5 vs 4, but not 5.1 vs 5.4). That’s not so much of an issue now, but it was when the 525s first came out a few years ago.

A new thing you can do now with the latest firmware and software is to globally look at all firmware revs of everything on the Ethernet I/P network and if you get a new spare unit, update all of your firmware on any similar unit (during down time of course) so that everything is the same. That way when your system is running and you have to swap out a unit for a spare, ADC just has to do the parameters only, which only takes around 10-20 seconds or so.

Last edited: