Kinetix 300: Homing in Gearing mode

Tarlo

Hi all, i have a question on this drive: I have a kinetix 300 set up in gearing mode. In some situations i need to do homing on this drive but the homing procedure can't run when it is in gearing mode.
If i switch in indexing mode i'm able to do homing but i need to work in gearing.

There's some methods to do that?

Thank you all.

This is not based on any specific experience with your drive, but it seems to me that homing an axis and having it geared to a master axis are mutually exclusive. About all you can expect to do is home the master axis and the geared axis will follow.

This seems me a bit strange: if a blackout occur the two motor loss their position, how can i reset the position of geared axis?
This force me to connect with a pc and changing the drive in indexing mode for resetting the motor with the homing procedure.

Perhaps your problem is with the terminology. Homing an axis is the act of driving it physically to a fixed position and then setting the axis controller's internal position to match the physical position.

You could issue a command to the master/geared system to go to a defined position which you might call the "Home" position, but that is not the same thing as the homing procedure built into the axis controller.

Steve is right about gearing and homing being mutually exclusive.
I would not be wrong but I remember that with the Allen Bradley Ultra 3000 it was possible.

You could issue a command to the master/geared system to go to a defined position which you might call the "Home" position, but that is not the same thing as the homing procedure built into the axis controller.
But that's not what I do.
I explain the operation of the machine: I have this drive slave-gearing with another. In some situations I have to stop the gearing and the slave drive stops before than master drive so the motors' position are not the same anymore. Now I need to return the slave to the home position (with the routine of the internal drive) but if the drive is set in gearing it can not start this routine.

I hope it was clearer and excuse me for my bad english.

with the Allen Bradley Ultra 3000 it was possible.
The Ultra 3000 may have taken the geared axis out geared mode while it performed the homing sequence and then restored it to geared operation once the homing was complete. There may have been logic in a PLC that was doing all that.

If it was truly in geared operation while homing what would happen to the geared axis if you moved the master axis in the middle of a homing operation?

Tarlo, I'm still confused about what you are trying to do. Based on this:
Originally posted by Tarlo:
Now I need to return the slave to the home position ...
it sounds like you want to physically move the slave axis to a specific position. Is this that you intend to do? If so, this is not what I would refer to as "homing". Or do you want to set the current position of the axis to some predefined position without the axis moving? That is what I would refer to as "homing".

How are you connected to the K300? Is is by fieldbus or hard I/O? The K300 doesn't move between modes like the K3000 does. The K300 doesn't have a "primary" and "secondary" mode like a K3000 did. There is only the current mode and all other modes.

In the case you explain above it sounds like you are stopped anyway. So I'm not sure why you can't ungear, home (if that's really what you want to do), then regear.

Keith

The Ultra 3000 may have taken the geared axis out geared mode while it performed the homing sequence and then restored it to geared operation once the homing was complete.
Yes, it is so.

it sounds like you want to physically move the slave axis to a specific position. Is this that you intend to do?
Yes but this position is reached by using the homing routine.
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2097-um001_-en-p.pdf Page 113

How are you connected to the K300? Is is by fieldbus or hard I/O?
I use the drive through the terminal.

The K300 doesn't move between modes like the K3000 does. The K300 doesn't have a "primary" and "secondary" mode like a K3000 did. There is only the current mode and all other modes.
So there is no way to start the homing routine keeping the drive in gearing mode?

In the case you explain above it sounds like you are stopped anyway. So I'm not sure why you can't ungear, home (if that's really what you want to do), then regear.
Yes both drives stops but i need ungear because the slave motor must be stop immediately instead the master engine needs a few more revolutions because is a great engine.

OK, I think I understand what you are doing. I suspect you are using homing method 33 or 34.

I've never had to do what you are trying before. In all the cases I have used the K300 the drive has been connected to the PLC via Ethernet/IP and I have used absolute encoders. So I homed my motor once and never had to home it again. In your case I don't think that would help anyway. Even if you had an absolute encoder you would then need to perform an index to get the axis where you want it.

There's got to be a way to do what you are trying to do but I'm not sure exactly what it is. I think the K300 was "intended" to be used over Ethernet/IP so alot of the parameters could be changed on the fly. In your case I'm not sure what you would have to do.

Sorry,
Keith