Studio 5000 v30 question / problem

dave948

I wrote a fairly basic program using full version of studio 5000 v30 that works well. Today I tried to add a few more rungs to control motor starters via push buttons.
I made the changes offline, downloaded the new program to the PAC and placed it back in run mode. The new rungs will not work, I can push the buttons and see the rung prove true but the output will not turn on. I can force the output and it works fine.
There are no faults or warning, the rungs were added to an existing routine, everything else (existing) works fine. I even went back and added some very basic I/O and I can force the output but it will not work on its own even if I force the Input.
I spent 8 hours wracking my brain on this and have run out of ideas to try. I thought about wiping the controller (1769-L36ERM) and starting over but I don't want to end up with a $4k paper weight .

Make sure there is not a return statement ahead of your new rungs.

Make sure that nothing else is writing to the output points in question (perhaps at the word level?). Do a cross reference of those data points.

Scenario 1: Your subroutine isn't being called (usually by a JSR) or is not the Main Routine of a Program.

Scenario 2: You've inadvertently double-addressed an output with an OTE instruction, so that the "last rung wins". A cross-reference on the output tag will show you quickly if that's the case.

Both scenarios are very common. I'm confident you'll find one of them is the case.

Make sure there is not a return statement ahead of your new rungs.

Make sure that nothing else is writing to the output points in question (perhaps at the word level?). Do a cross reference of those data points.

A TND (Temporary End) instruction ahead of your new rungs will also cause them to be not scanned.

Of course, you have the option to attach your application (zipped, forum rule) so we can all take a look at what is happening.

Thanks for the tips. I did the cross reference check and came up empty. The routine is existing and everything else in the routine works.

I made a small new program (6 rungs) downloaded it to the PAC and it behaves the same way. (I can see the inputs turn true, I can force output but the in's will not activate the outs.)
I dump the old program back in everything is fine. Add a rung, that rung will not work, rest of the program is fine.
It has no locks, I'm the original author, same PC, same software I'm the only one to access it and it's only a month old.
It has to be something so simple I'm over looking it.
Upload and downloads are via USB.

Thanks for the tips. I did the cross reference check and came up empty. The routine is existing and everything else in the routine works.

I made a small new program (6 rungs) downloaded it to the PAC and it behaves the same way. (I can see the inputs turn true, I can force output but the in's will not activate the outs.)
I dump the old program back in everything is fine. Add a rung, that rung will not work, rest of the program is fine.
It has no locks, I'm the original author, same PC, same software I'm the only one to access it and it's only a month old.
It has to be something so simple I'm over looking it.
Upload and downloads are via USB.

Share it so we can learn.

Scenario 2: You've inadvertently double-addressed an output with an OTE instruction, so that the "last rung wins". A cross-reference on the output tag will show you quickly if that's the case.

I just want to clarify that the "last rung wins" scenario only applies to platforms that have synchronous I/O, which is not the case for the Logix5000 series. If an output is turned on and off during a program scan, then it could be transferred to the output module as either a 1 or a 0, depending on when the system overhead time-slice occurs, which is when I/O is updated.

Some of the I/O is Point I/O via 1734-AENTR series B.

The sticking point for me is the original program works fine, anything added to it will not work.
A new from scratch program will not work either. This is I/O on the same cards as working I/O.

try doing a File Save As operation - and save the file as an L5K format ... those are usually much smaller ... then maybe you can zip and post the results ...

Swag

And you're sure the code is complied? There's not a bunch of little 'i's making up the left-hand power rail of the rungs? I've seen it happen where even making off-line changes, Logix inserts them as "Pending" edits. When doing a download, they're not IN the PLC, and looking at them, all the contact bits turn green/not, just like you'd expect, but the output coil doesn't.

And you're sure the code is complied? There's not a bunch of little 'i's making up the left-hand power rail of the rungs? I've seen it happen where even making off-line changes, Logix inserts them as "Pending" edits. When doing a download, they're not IN the PLC, and looking at them, all the contact bits turn green/not, just like you'd expect, but the output coil doesn't.

I was going to suggest that, but offline rung edits get compiled immediately if they are valid. It's called Auto Rung Verification, and was introduced around about version 10. You could go into options and turn it off, forcing you to manually verify them, but around about version 16 auto rung verification became the norm, even if you went into options and turned it off !!

I suspect the OP is making online edits, and could perhaps be forgetting to accept, test, and assemble them (or finalise them), but I figured he knows what he is doing.

I'm pretty sure I've seen Auto Rung Verification glitch. Not often, and I'm not sure what the root cause was (adding a rung in online, then going offline to finish the edit? having some online edits in "Test" when going offline?)

All I know is that I've been offline, downloaded, and gotten a warning message something like "Pending edits will not be enabled".

(You can definitely get that message is you make online edits, don't assemble, go offline, save, and do a download.)