How do you change IP Addresses on Compactlogix when your network ideas change ?

Cydog

Good Morning ,

I have a CompactLogix L18 on my desk that I would like to mimic other CompactLogix L18's thruout the plant to , try concepts , test code , etc. Many of these L18's have different IP Addresses . My question is , what is the best way to change the IP Address on this desk CompactLogix and download various plantwide programs ?

Would I need to use a USB cable ?
Would BootP still work in this situation ?
Would RS Linx work in this situation ?

Next year we are going to be networking the entire plant , and will need to do this on a larger scale . If you have any good links or ideas , I would appreciate it .

Thanks so much like always ,

RSLinx, Right click on the address and select Module Configuration, then select the Port Configuration tab. Change to new address and click OK.

Thanks , I just did that , and it worked like a charm. Would the same method work for Powerflex Drives such as Powerflex 40's , 70's and 525's ?

Thanks again ,

Thanks , I just did that , and it worked like a charm. Would the same method work for Powerflex Drives such as Powerflex 40's , 70's and 525's ?

Thanks again ,

RSLinx works great once you have a configured device the settings of which are known to you.

For PowerFlex 525, I personally prefer to set an address directly on the drive (If I'm not mistaken it's something like parameters C129 - C134). Once you go online with it, you can change the IP in RSLinx or directly through the PLC.

If you have new devices (when you decide to setup your plant network), the best approach for me has always been BOOTP. For whatever reason, USB worked for some devices and didn't for others. I resorted to just writing down the MAC address, connecting to each device and setting an IP with BOOTP.

Cheers,
Vlad