comms problems between panelview and slc 5/04

LowRange

Hello, I have a problem and certainly just one of many to come as I become more involved with PLCs

We've got a panelview 1000 connected to a SLC 5/04 1746 L541 through RS232 that we have installed recently and every time the the pannelview boots it asks "Do you want to replace the terminal's current communications configuration with the applications current configuration?" and you are supposed to hit "No". Well, someone poked "yes" and now I am unable to communicate between the SLC and the pannelview. I keep getting timeout error messages about my bits and integers and all the buttons say ERROR on them so it's pretty clear the two aren't talking.

I can talk to the 5/04 through my laptop with the RS232 driver auto configured through com port 3 which linx gives me as a DF1-1 DH485. I can connect to the controller no problem, however when I fire up factorytalk while connected to the controller and attempt to test the application I get the same timeout error messages as when the panelview was connected to the controller. The communications settings on the panelview are Serial DF-1 SLC 5/04 Processor 16k version 1. The comms settings in factorytalk as I found them when I opened up the current application was DH+ with no device found so I added a 1746 L541 5/04 16k device but that didn't work. I added a DH485 because my linx driver also says DH485 and then added a 1746 L541 device but that doesn't work either.

I'm a maintenance guy and really don't know anything about factorytalk and am a beginner to establishing comms with these devices. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

You will need to set the comms back up, do you have a copy of the PanelView program? if yes you can set it manually or download it back to the PV and you should be fine, just upload the PV first... this way you have the current program, you will need it if your back up program is out of date

You can also find the settings in the PLC if you have a copy of the program or upload it

I have come to discover that the selecting of "yes" to the previously mentioned screen changes the communications setup of the terminal itself (PV1000). The problem could not be solved through Factorytalk or linx and was solved when approached from another angle. The next step is to make the screen go away upon boot or restrict its access. It's basically a "hey do you want screw everything up" "yes or no" screen.

Thank you all for your help.