RSLogix 5000 and PowerFlex 755 AOP issues

Ricoswave11

I have an older system and they recently replaced the VFD to a newer revision. I tried to modify the VFD in the program to the new revision but everything is grey'd out. After researching online AB knowledge base said to update the AOP and database files. I followed those instructions exactly, downloaded the new AOP and loaded, both drive tools and CCW database files and loaded. Still I can't change the revisions. I then removed RSLogix completely from the computer and reinstalled, again loaded the new AOP and database files and still I can't modify the revision.

I also tried adding a new VFD of the same type and it does not let me create it however the revision is correct.

What am I doing wrong?

I should mention:

PowerFlex 755 with embeded ethernet R14.002
RSLogix 5000 V 19/20.01

Last edited:
I am not sure I fully understand your situation but this may or may not help.

If you are trying to make changes to the drive through Studio, you will not be able to change certain parameters and characteristics by doing live edits or being online with the controller. Meaning if you wanted to change the revision or "match" the drive in the program, you will need to first go offline, adjust your program in studio (you can connect to the drive while the program is offline through studio), then re download to the controller. When you download to the controller it will shut down everything and come back up in the state that was configured so make sure that is something that works with your process.

I also do not know your level of knowledge with any of this so forgive me if I am informing you of "basic" things, I mean no disrespect. You know what they say about assuming......

Maybe I can explain better, sorry I am definitely not that experienced with AB.

I am not using studio, I am using RSLogix 5000. While offline with the PLC, I am trying to modify the VFD properties. I am trying to change the VFD revision in the program to match the new VFD. The area where I change the revision is grey'd out. The "match drive" button is also grey'd out. The reason I need to make this change is so the program/VFD will allow me to download the parameters stored in the program. I can't do anything until I can change the revision to match the VFD.

This is the rockwell link on this exact issue however I did exactly what they said and it still does not work:

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/77067

I know it's not helpful to say it, but this is exactly why I prefer to use a simple interposing start relay and standard discrete and analog IO interfaces to drives, rather than relying upon communication links. At least these are standards that don't change every few months.

I know it's not helpful to say it, but this is exactly why I prefer to use a simple interposing start relay and standard discrete and analog IO interfaces to drives, rather than relying upon communication links. At least these are standards that don't change every few months.

..or just use a few simple Ethernet Ii/P or Modbus links which are easily changed when/if needed.

..or just use a few simple Ethernet Ii/P or Modbus links which are easily changed when/if needed.

Well, I've done that too. So has Ricoswave11. It saves a little bit of wiring. DeviceNet is also a valid means of building a control system that can't be serviced by the plant technicians after you leave the job-site.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I can't go back to 7 years ago and redesign it, but thank you for the ideas on future jobs. Does anyone have experience with this particular issue? I have no idea how to proceed without many thousands of dollars in travel costs to fix it. Any direction would help!

If I'm understanding your situation correctly, you can downgrade the the firmware of the new VFD to whatever the old one was and then it should talk to the PLC just like the old one did. Then you don't need to worry about changing the AOP.

I'm assuming that the VFD was replaced because of failure and not because there was a need for the newer firmware.

It might be that your new drive has a newer version of firmware that your old RS Logix 5000 cannot support, that can happen when there was a major hardware change from your old drive to the new one, usually indicated by a change in the number on the left side of the decimal in the version: ie Your RSL5000 can recognize up to R12, your drive is at R14.002 and you cannot revert the drive to anything lower than R13. You can still usually make it work, it just takes a couple more steps in RSL5000 to update its database and they have to be done in the right order.

Last edited:
it just takes a couple more steps in RSL5000 to update its database and they have to be done in the right order

Can you expand on what order and how?

There is no need for a newer firmware but what is worrying me is why not just the one drive is grayed out? There is 12 drives and 10 of them are the original firmware (7.001) and 2 new drives with new firmware (14.002). The AOP file says I should be good up to firmware 17 but I can't do anything, no way to correlate with any of the powerflex 755 drives.