Motion group not synchronised

Geoff White

I have a L30ERM with 7 axes that is running in production now.

However I have a problem when it randomly does not start from power-up.

The motion group stays in a Not Syncronized status with no group faults but reports physicalaxisfaults.

None of the drives show faults and are all in the Waiting for Group state.

Disconnecting and re-connecting the ethernet from the PLC fixes the problem.

Can anyone shed any light on either preventing this problem from occurring or how to reset it in the program?

Hi Geoff,

On power up or first scan, the motion group will run through and check each axis one by one.
If one of the axis are faulted etc. motor disconnected, the motion group will stop the check at that axis.
Untill all axis have been checked, the motion group will not synchronize, and before the motion group is synchronized you will not be able to trust the fault messages from the axes....

Does it sound like a never ending circle ? i think so too!

One way to make the motion group skip an axis, is to inhibit the axis.
You are able to do this with an SSV instruction.
See https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/526940 on how to do it.
The article requires tech connect access level.

If you inhibit all axes, the motion group should synchronize and you can then uninhibit the axes again.

Thanks for the feedback.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the problem is that there is a second PLC on the same network and they were both on the same CIP Time Sync priority. The other PLC does not have any servos on it so I have promoted the priority of the problem PLC. If it craps out again tomorrow I will try doing some MGS and MGSR commands to see what happens.