1783-NATR: Can it really be this hard?

Steve Etter

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I spent the entire day trying and failing to setup my 1783-NATR. It appeared, time and again, to be correct and happy but no matter what I did, it never let me see it in RSLinx (after initial configuration) nor let me see anything on the translated side. I tried direct connection from my laptop to it and then the PLC, tried going through two unmanaged swithes, and everything in between. I can connect to it via the web page and change it as needed. Is there some trick to these??

I set one up a few weeks ago. The only weird thing is that the "public" side won't respond until the "private" side is connected.

Are you able to ping the private side?

Also, the PLCs has to have their gateway set to the private side IP of the NATR because it effectively becomes the router for the private side.

No, I never could ping the private side. I also didn’t set up a gateway at all. That may be the problem? I only need the PLC processor and HMI visible to the outside world. I did find out about having both the private and public sides being connected before the “public” side would work.

So, if the private side of the translation (the PLC) is 192.168.1.1 and the public side is 10.10.10.50, are you saying the gateway in the PLC needs to be the private side address of the NAT?

No, I never could ping the private side. I also didn’t set up a gateway at all. That may be the problem? I only need the PLC processor and HMI visible to the outside world. I did find out about having both the private and public sides being connected before the “public” side would work.

So, if the private side of the translation (the PLC) is 192.168.1.1 and the public side is 10.10.10.50, are you saying the gateway in the PLC needs to be the private side address of the NAT?

The PLC and HMI need to have the IP address of the NAT as the Gateway
You are telling the PLC and HMI this is the device that will pass you through the Gateway.

Of course, you can only ping the private IP of the NATR FROM the private side. Just to make that clear.

In RSLinx, use Ethernet Device driver instead of Ethernet/IP driver.

Ok. The PLC and HMI have addresses in the same range as the private side of the NAT. The translations are then set up pointing to those two devices. The gateway is the piece I think I might be missing. I will try setting it to match the NAT private side address.

No I did not try pinging the private side address of the NAT from the private side network. I will try that.

Once everything is set up correctly, I thought I should be able to ping THROUGH the NAT from the public side to the PLC via its translated address. Is this not true?

Neither driver in RSLinx made any difference, but I read about that, too.

Last edited:
example: NATR has 2 IP's, 1 Private and 1 Public
Private - 192.168.1.0
Public - 10.10.10.50

The PLC and HMI both need gateways of 192.168.1.0

Seems like you know how to set up the translations.

From my experience I have found that if there is nothing active on the private side then the public port isn't active. I tried to open web browser config through public side and found it would fail unless private side was active.

Also if you want VNC access to HMI dont forget to open port 5900 on NATR I cannot remember exactly how but quick search should do it.

The part that got me was assigning the gateway for the private device. I believe it should be the nat's private address.

Yep. That was it. The only piece I was missing was setting the gateway in the PLC to be the IP address of the private side of the NAT. As soon as I did that I was able to see the PLC processor through the NAT as its translated address.

Thanks guys!

Yep. That was it. The only piece I was missing was setting the gateway in the PLC to be the IP address of the private side of the NAT. As soon as I did that I was able to see the PLC processor through the NAT as its translated address.

Thanks guys!

Steve Etter said:
...I thought I should be able to ping THROUGH the NAT from the public side to the PLC via its translated address. Is this not true?...

Glad you got the Gateway address sorted Steve, but just to answer your earlier query. Once everything is setup and working correctly, as appears to be the case for you now, you should definitely be able to PING both ways through the NAT appliance.

Have you tried again since you got going?...

Regards,
George