Twincat 3 - Refactoring

matejak14

Hello everyone,

I have a problem with TwinCAT 3. When I want to rename a variable, the name is changed only at this position, but not in other places where that variable is used in the software. I have already checked in the TwinCAT options (Tools > Options) under category TwinCAT > PLC Environment > Refactoring but everything is already turned on. Also in the Beckhoff documentation is written that when I select variable under refactoring there is rename option, but in my case, there is no rename (See in the picture).
refactoring.jpg

Thank you in advance,

Best regards, Mateja

Thank you very much for a quick answer. There is a global search but I am looking for a better solution because I need to change names for a lot of variables and also with refactoring error possibility is less.

Have you built your project since those variables were created? It's possible that TwinCAT requires a Build before the refactoring can work.

Its hard for me to tell from the screen snip you included but it looks to me like you are trying to rename an element in a structure. From all the examples I have seen the refactoring command takes effect at the tag level. I'm not sure refactoring applies to sub-elements of a tag. You may be stuck with search and replace.

Keith

Thank you a lot for your help. Unfortunately still not working. I tried to build the project and rename a global variable but without success.
z9ypdnR.png

Last edited:
Hello mateja,

I checked in my version of TwinCAT (3.1.4022.22) and I have the option you are mentioning (Rename variable). What shell are you using to run TwinCAT (VS 2013 here)? I have now checked my other computer (TcXaeShell) and I don't have that option.

Refactoring.png

That's the problem exactly. I am using TcXyeShell. When I tried the same thing in Visual Studio everything works well.

Thank you very much for your help!