PANELVIEW 1000 questions

acocagn

I am thinking about getting an old PV 1000 or something of that nature and was curious about connecting to a SLC 5/04. Currently I have the SLC 5/04 on an ethernet network and I was curious if it will work just as Control Logix does in which I can simply use Ethernet IP over the network for communications?

Possibly a silly question but I've primarily worked with Control Logix.

The PanelView can talk with SLC and PLC-5 product lines. Those were the current products when the PanelView was released. They could even work with older PLC-2 and PLC-3 with the right hardware. They were not designed for the Logix 5000 though they were able to talk with them. Usually requiring data table mapping in the Logix to make it look like a PLC/SLC.

The SLC 5/04 doesn't have Ethernet. It has DH+ and a serial port. Are you using an RS232/Ethernet converter or are you using a gateway of some sort to get your 5/04 onto Ethernet? That might be where you run into issues.

If you had an SLC 5/05 with built-in Ethernet it could talk directly to the PV1000 over Ethernet.

OG

The PanelView can talk with SLC and PLC-5 product lines. Those were the current products when the PanelView was released. They could even work with older PLC-2 and PLC-3 with the right hardware. They were not designed for the Logix 5000 though they were able to talk with them. Usually requiring data table mapping in the Logix to make it look like a PLC/SLC.

The SLC 5/04 doesn't have Ethernet. It has DH+ and a serial port. Are you using an RS232/Ethernet converter or are you using a gateway of some sort to get your 5/04 onto Ethernet? That might be where you run into issues.

If you had an SLC 5/05 with built-in Ethernet it could talk directly to the PV1000 over Ethernet.

OG
I see thank you, I guess that leads me to the next question... I have a handful of lines I want to pull info into 1 panel view so I can get all the fault conditions etc. in a single location and aid in troubleshooting issues. I would have most on Control Logix and one on a SLC 5/04. Is there a PV I could integrate both into or would I be better off messaging the bits from the SLC 5/04 to one of the Control Logix and just getting a newer PV for Logix.

You could do one of two things. The PanelView only supports a single network. Ethernet or DH+. It cannot do both.

1. Put both controllers on DH+ network. It is native to the 5/04, but would require a 1756-DHRIO module for the CLX. IF you already have that module then they could all talk over the common DH+. However, this is an older network that either has been or is being replaced by Ethernet in many facilities. Going this route you could buy a DH+ PV and talk to both controller types. Or you could buy an Ethernet version and talk directly to the CLX. Then send messages from the 5/04 to the CLX and let the PV read that data from the CLX.
  2. Put both controllers onto Ethernet. Most likely the CLX already has this network. The SLC 5/04 would require a RS232/Ethernet adapter. It wouldn't be terribly fast, but it would then allow everyone to talk on one common Ethernet.

Alternatively, you could move to a PanelView Plus. The PV+ has Ethernet built-in plus you can add a DH+ module to it. But again, this is probably more expensive than you want to do.

For me, I would get an RS232/Ethernet adapter for the 5/04. Perhaps others will have additional suggestions.

OG

Last edited:
Yeah I already have the 5/04 on Ethernet so that step is done, so it appears getting a PV+ would be the optimal solution as it could then talk 100% through Ethernet and interface with both CLX and a 5/04. Thank you!