Omron Scanner with Versamax CPUE05

RioPLC

I am using a HS-360X barcode scanner with versamax cpue05

I configured the scanner to match host settings and set software handshaking to None: Select this to transmit data immediately. The scanner expects no response from the host. hardware handshaking also set to none

I am trying to read a QR code that says P159

I attached a pic of my comreq below

Also have tried using 4403 (read string) and 16#0a as the terminating character, which works when I'm reading from my power supply.

I cannot get either method to work for the scanner. Any help is appreciated

comreq.PNG

Did you first execute a COMMREQ to set up the port for serial data (COMMREQ code FFF0)?
The COMMREQ should be triggered by a one-shot. What resets the bit CmdRx?
Are you monitoring the value in %R0001 which is the COMMREQ status word you selected in the first BLKMOV instruction? Is there an error code in it?
Try latching on a coil at the "FT" node of the COMMREQ instruction to see if it gets processed without error.

In my CPUE05 settings for rs232 port 1 I set port mode to serial I/O

I changed to one shot for CmdRx. I do not get an error on the FT node of comreq but I do get 16#0D04 in %R0001

Manual says 16#0D04 is Receive timeout awaiting serial reception of data

Originally I was following this receive example
https://digitalsupport.ge.com/communities/en_US/Article/How-To-Send-Or-Receive-Data-via-Serial-I-O

I scan my QR code then turn on the Barcode_Scanner bit .. my timeout is 30 seconds .. I am turning the bit on before this timeout so still not sure what I'm doing wrong

edit: it seems I receive 16#0C02 COMMREQ command is not supported. then 16#040D

Last edited:
When you trigger your scanner do you see the "Port 1" LED on the CPU flash?
If not, the problem is most likely in the cable.
If the LED flashes, it indicates traffic on the line, but the PLC doesn't recognize it which suggests a mismatch in port parameter settings.

Edit based on your edit:
Getting two different values in the COMMREQ status word indicates you're executing multiple COMMREQ instructions. It will help your troubleshooting if you define a unique address for the COMMREQ status word for each instance of the COMMREQ instruction.

Last edited:
Port 1 LED does not flash when I scan
If I connect it to my laptop and use putty I can see the qr code message so I believe the cable is OK

Cable pin out is 2 Rx , 3 Tx, 5 GND

I changed the status word to a different register .. after 30 sec it receives the timeout error 16#040D

Last edited: