Device Net Questions

sparkytex

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey guys,

Here's the back story on my issue:

Issue #1 - Our local WWTP had just upgraded their HMI computer, This computer had RSLogix 5000 and RSNetworx version 7.00.00. I since transferred the RSLogix 5000 and RSNetworx onto a laptop so it can be mobile and used on other sites. I upgraded the version of RSNetworx to version 24.00.00 in the process.

The old computer still has the old version of RSNetworx on it and all of the EDS files for the Eaton VFD's and Cutler Hammer Communications Adapter for the existing scan list nodes. I can go online with the new version of RSNetworx with the new laptop but of course each device isn't registered as the EDS files are all on the old HMI computer.

I cannot find the EDS files online anywhere for the SVX9000 Eaton VFD's so I'm unable to make the new Laptop work properly with RSNetworx as I cannot download the EDS files to the devices and download to the scanlist. Is there any way to export the EDS files off of the old HMI computer and put them onto a flash drive and add them to the EDS file wizard on the new Laptop?

When I view the EDS files on RSNetworx on the old HMI computer it just opens a Notes tab with a .txt file full of text. Im able to copy and paste that text into a new notes tab and save it but it doesn't seem to work in the EDS wizard.

Issue #2 - Regarding issue number one. I would continue to just use the old version of RSNetworx from the old HMI computer as it has all the old EDS files but I need to add new devices to the scan list but it doesn't seem to recognize them. I added a DN comms card for an newer eaton drive (upgrade from the old SVX9000) to the network and gave it a MAC ID address of 16 (node 16) but the old version of RSNetworx won't recognize it. Funny part is the newer version of RSNetworx on the laptop does but I'm unable to add it to the scan list and download because all of the existing devices don't have the EDS files explained in issue #1.

I've tried uploading from the DN scanner many times but it doesn't seem to work. Is there a way to manually add a new device on RSNetworx?

I appreciate any help on this matter as this is starting to become a bit of a nightmare for me to solve.

Regards,

- Tex

You're in for a ride...:D...

Migrating from RSNDN v7 to v27 is pretty extreme, however, it can be accomplished with some time and perseverance plus several bottles of Advil.

On the v7 machine do a C: Search for '.eds'; DO NOT attempt to edit any of them; place all the Search found items into a folder and move said folder onto the v27 machine.

Upon the .eds files transfer, on the RSNDN v27 PC, deploy the RSLinx EDS Hardware Installation Tool and 'Add'/'Register a directory...' pointing to the .eds container. This should register most of the electronic data sheets for the devices on the network.

From the contents of your post it seems you are not very familiar with DeviceNet; please refer to the available technical documentation prior to attempting any 'alterations' to the functional network.

You DO NOT download .eds files; you might be able to UPLOAD .eds files from some more modern, networked devices if you cannot locate the manufacturer generated one; the .eds files are used by the RSNDN software to communicate with the device for configuration purposes and for compiling the network's Scanlist; the Scanlist is what the user downloads to the scanner if the network had been modified.

If you cannot find/generate a device's .eds file you will need to contact its manufacturer and 'create' one; yes any .eds is editable with a trivial word processor, however, the contents need to be 'functional' and the file name needs to end in '.eds' and not '.txt'.

Anyway...Again, DeviceNet, although a very solid Remote I/O bus application, has a very 'quirky' programming approach; make sure you understand the manuals thoroughly and do not attempt 'downloading' anything prior to understanding the functionality.

Maybe a call to your local RA office might be needed.

Thank you for your reply!

I knowledge of DN isn't very good, I know the very basics of how to navigate the software and find arrays associated with PLC addresses. I've never had to add a device to the network before. The one new Eaton VFD needed a device net comms card added and programmed to node 16, I was able to upload the EDS file for this drive but of course, being a new device, it does not sure on the current Scan List. I'm guessing I will have to add and download this new device to the Scan List, But before I do that, I have to insure all of the existing devices on RSNW 24.00.00 have the EDS file uploaded?

I'll try and search for the .EDS files on the old computer and hopefully find them. If I do I'll add them onto the new computers EDS wizard found under RSLinx.

Did you try adding the EDS files for the new devices to the old computer and see if they could be recognised on old RSNetworx?

You could then upload from the network and save a copy of the "live" DNet network and try and add the new device offline.

But V7 may not see the new devices....

DNet is a fickle beast but you should get there...

I'm guessing I will have to add and download this new device to the Scan List, But before I do that, I have to insure all of the existing devices on RSNW 24.00.00 have the EDS file uploaded?

The Scanlist cannot be edited 'piecemeal' in Online mode...This is 'bus' and not Logix 5000 ENet...

The Scanlist is 'editable' in Offline mode only... That's why it is very important to start with a complete and functional RSNDN Offline file; this is where you are going to add the new device and compile the new Scanlist; all networked devices' parameters are part of the Offline RSNDN file.

SOP is to first add the device to the network without adding it to the Scanlist, make sure it is 'live' and properly configured by Online RSNDN browsing and only thereafter adding it to the Scanlist and downloading the entire new Scanlist to the DNet Scanner.

Be careful about data mapping!...Usually a new device is being appended with the highest node number since one would not need to worry about having enough 'free space' within the original Scanlist data assembly.

Did I say enough times "Be very careful..."...:D