You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old January 3rd, 2020, 02:54 PM   #16
celichi
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetNathan View Post
TeamViewer can be used across internal IP addresses and....as I hear...without licensing.
Somewhere on the internet I saw how to set it up....

I found some info..
https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/...only/ta-p/4618
For commercial, you need to purchase a license, or you are in violation of their EULA.
Old January 3rd, 2020, 03:53 PM   #17
Dryhops
United States

+1 to using Ignition without a server. We have windows server running our primary gateway and an identical backup server.

I had an emergency late at night where both servers (with redundant PSUs on a UPS) were damaged. It only took an hour or so to set up a crappy spare dell optiplex desktop running windows 10 Pro as a temporary server.

Frankly I was surprised that the desktop wasn't taxed, even with 100k tags. I didn't really notice a difference in responsiveness of the clients.
Old January 3rd, 2020, 04:42 PM   #18
Phrog30
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by electro89 View Post
So I gather a lot can be done without a server, thank you all for your suggestions. This is good to know in case I don't use RDP to deploy these clients or need to get something up and running quick.
I guess I missed this. What are you referring to about deployment? Deploying in Ignition is as simple as it comes. There is literally nothing to it.
Old January 7th, 2020, 02:56 PM   #19
Phil Buchanan
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

It's all up to customer needs, preference, and budget.

It will run fine on a Windows desktop or server-class OS. Just a note but I do love having a Thin manager solution and only have thin clients on the factory floor set to self rebuild rather than having any PCs or PC based HMI's as this makes it easy for the customer to maintain.

If you are looking for server redundancy there are many options but my favorites are 2 separate servers running Vsphere in fault tolerance or a Stratus server which is ground up fault tolerance and easy for the customer to maintain.

I normally like to set up a shadow protect offsite backup that can be run from a cloud server and setup in only a few minutes or run from an AWS cloud server which can be a manual or automatic switchover to cloud.
Electrical License Prep Training
Motor Controls Training

http://www.KeyAutomationTraining.com

Last edited by Phil Buchanan; January 7th, 2020 at 02:59 PM.
Old January 8th, 2020, 01:49 PM   #20
electro89
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrog30 View Post
I guess I missed this. What are you referring to about deployment? Deploying in Ignition is as simple as it comes. There is literally nothing to it.
I was referring to the possibility of using ThinManager with RDP to set up thin clients running Ignition. With Citect, this setup was almost necessary to keep my sanity since each terminal needed its own unique ini file, although I'm not sure how their new "Deployment" feature works. This is just the way it was set up from when I started here so it's what I've been working with.

I downloaded and set up a server/client setup with Ignition and you're right, basically as simple as it gets.
Old January 8th, 2020, 01:56 PM   #21
lostcontrol
New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by electro89 View Post
Thanks for the info, I think the biggest thing that's holding me back from using a PC instead of a server is the fact that I don't believe a PC would let ThinManager/RDP run sessions of Ignition from it.
Ignition does not require RDP sessions to a server.
A simple PC should be able to connect to the gateway & launch the application locally.
Whether a thin client would work, I am not sure though. Guess it would depend on the resources available, but suspect it would..
Old January 8th, 2020, 02:07 PM   #22
electro89
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Buchanan View Post
It's all up to customer needs, preference, and budget.

It will run fine on a Windows desktop or server-class OS. Just a note but I do love having a Thin manager solution and only have thin clients on the factory floor set to self rebuild rather than having any PCs or PC based HMI's as this makes it easy for the customer to maintain.

If you are looking for server redundancy there are many options but my favorites are 2 separate servers running Vsphere in fault tolerance or a Stratus server which is ground up fault tolerance and easy for the customer to maintain.

I normally like to set up a shadow protect offsite backup that can be run from a cloud server and setup in only a few minutes or run from an AWS cloud server which can be a manual or automatic switchover to cloud.
I already have the approval for installing ThinManager with redundant servers, and I will be maintaining the system so the simpler the better. I've also been somewhat looking into virtualized servers but I've only ever dealt with VMs of desktop OS's. Is the main benefit of a vm server that if your server craps out you can load the VM onto a new one? I've always felt like it would just add more complexity to the system, but I am not familiar with how it works at the server level at all.

Last edited by electro89; January 8th, 2020 at 02:08 PM. Reason: quoted wrong reply
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum