shift/rotate instructions

praj17

hello!!!
i would like to know any practical applications where shift/rotate instructions may be used in industries.

thanks!!

Shift application

Dear Aravind,

I have used shift, shift bit left to control and monitor the movement of bottles.
Everytime a bottle moves a pulse is generated which shifts the position of that bottle, and if it is a bad bottle, it will be shifted till it reaches the reject station and at that point it will be rejected.
I had used it while I was learning plc, to multiply by 2 or divide by 2. Everytime you shift left, you multiply by 2 and everytime you shift right you divide by 2.
I hope this helps. If not, post again and I will give you a ladder logic example.
By the way which plc you would be using?
Regards,
ali.

to alielectrical

thanks that was helpful. i m using siemens plc s7 300 series.
In that shift right integer instruction is there. any other practical use u may be knowing please let me know

mohamedzoba said:
useful application to turn on train of leds in sequence

...handy when you're building a new bridge console for the USS Enterprise

:)

........ .......

Last edited:
Another use is the storage of alarm conditions in a first in first out or last in first out sequence.

A shift register could also be used to keep track of a history of events like following the step number of a process that may quickly branch to different steps depending on different conditions. Sort of a sequence history.

A recent application where I have used them is on a rotary indexing table. The operator loads/unloads parts from the table at the front. The table rotates to carry parts behind a safety shield where an operation is performed on them. Then the part is carried back to the front to be unloaded by the operator. The table indexes every couple of seconds so the operator does not always get a part in every slot of the table and sometimes the operator does not get all of the already processed parts unloaded. Bit shift instructions are used to track which positions of the table are empty, which positions have new parts to be processed and which positions of the table have parts that have already been processed.

Jeebs said:
Or decide to build your very own Knight Rider's KITT.

kitt2_m_m.jpg

Choice of Knight Rider stars to choose from for a picture of KITT:
Rebecca Holden
Patricia McPherson
David Hasselhoff.
And you had to go and pick Hasselhoff.... o_O

FWIW, that grill mounted light chaser was called the anamorphic equalizer... Don't you just love Hollywood Techno-bable?

Alaric said:
And you had to go and pick Hasselhoff....
banghead.gif

Yeah I know, I couldn't find one of Rebecca Holden sitting next to the train of leds....I mean anamorphic equalizer.

But I did find this shift register in action though...

kitt.gif