Uploading from Panelview 550

Hi its been a few years since I've had any involvement with Allen Bradley Panelviews so would like some assistance. We have been asked if we can upload the program from a failing 2711-K5A2 and download it into another panel view they have aquired.

Now I have a 1784-PCMK Series B PCMCIA communications card and the RJ45 DH485 cable 1784-PCM4/B that goes with it and a XP laptop with the correct full sized PCMCIA slot.

I also have a copy of PanelBuilder32 (2711ND3).

The Panel view 550 has 2 ports next to each other which are marked up as DH485 one is a RJ45 the other is a AMP connector which is currently used to connected to a SLC5/03 via the PLC RJ45 DH485 port.

So the first question is can i use the cable I have to plug into the empty Rj45 DH485 port on the PV an upload a copy of the software.

My second question is, is the upload just a compiled copy of the project which the only thing I can do is download onto another 2711-K5A2. Or is it a full copy I can modify graphics on or change the PV type to download onto a slighty different model.

The reason I'm asking this is unfortunately our client has actually bought a slightly different model of PV version a 2711-K5A12 which has a profibus port and RS232 port instead of DH485. They have however noticed the SLC 5/03 has a spare RSS232 so are asking if we can reconfigure the coms so the PV communicates RS232 to the PLC instead.

So the first question is can i use the cable I have to plug into the empty Rj45 DH485 port on the PV an upload a copy of the software.

Short answer is yes. The devil's in the details. Make sure your adapter is set up properly, recognized by windows. Set up a driver in RSLinx for DH485 with the proper baud rate and a unique node number. You should be able to get the baud rate from the SLC program and there are only two options. As for node numbers, I often pick one that is the highest available, but sometimes devices are configured to stop polling numbers above a certain value, so occasionally I will have to set the node number lower.

My second question is, is the upload just a compiled copy of the project which the only thing I can do is download onto another 2711-K5A2. Or is it a full copy I can modify graphics on or change the PV type to download onto a slighty different model.

The reason I'm asking this is unfortunately our client has actually bought a slightly different model of PV version a 2711-K5A12 which has a profibus port and RS232 port instead of DH485. They have however noticed the SLC 5/03 has a spare RSS232 so are asking if we can reconfigure the coms so the PV communicates RS232 to the PLC instead.

The compiled project in the old panelview is usually one that can be opened and modified with Panelbuilder. It is possible that you won't be able to do anything with it, but in my experience, better than 90% of the time you can recreate a PB32 application from an uploaded file.

Switching to regular old DF1 serial comms is a good move going forward.

our client has actually bought a slightly different model of PV version a 2711-K5A12 which has a profibus port and RS232 port instead of DH485. They have however noticed the SLC 5/03 has a spare RSS232 so are asking if we can reconfigure the coms so the PV communicates RS232 to the PLC instead.

When a PanelView Standard terminal has an RS-232 port in addition to its main network port, that port is only for upload/download or for serial printing.

The auxiliary RS-232 port on a 2711-K5A12 cannot operate as the network port.

Upload went ok via pcmk card and cable. Also got them an upload of the SLC5/03 as well.
Had to tell them the Replacement they have bought of eBay is not going to work for them. And they have asked for us to try and source one. I mentioned now we have an upload it may be possible to import the old panel builder file into the later software and download to a non legacy product but I'd have to do some research.

So I think I remember that it is posssible to import into factory view and convert it to run (with a bit of tweaking) on a newer panel view plus 600. Did they do a DH485 version and can you still buy thease new or is there something newer than this. Thanks

Yes, you could convert a PanelView Standard (PanelBuilder 32 software) application into a PaneView Plus 6 (FactoryTalk View Studio software) application either 'automatically' via FTVS Conversion Tool(not quite 100% functional but 'close enough') or by developing from scratch.

As for communications, for the PanelView Plus 6 700 to 1500 terminals only(not 600s!), you could add an accessory DH+/DH-485/RIO Communications Module- Catalog Number 2711P-RN6; this would allow the PV+6 to communicate with the SLC 5/03 controller, however, in the US, this option will add another $500 to the terminal cost...:D

I see this as a niche market for somebody. Convert standalone HMIs from Allen Bradley Panelview standard to something else. I'm sure many would say to factorytalk. However there are cheaper (less expensive) reliable HMIs that just work (similar to the panelview standard - they usually just worked) that do not require an expensive software like factorytalk. Some even have fun features that makes factorytalk looks like it was developed in the 80s.

The PV550 Keypad models were roughly the size of a PanelView Plus 600 Touchscreen model. The application should be examined to see if keypad entries are an important part of it.

A modern PV+ can be connected to a DH485 network using a 1761-NET-AIC interface/isolator module. As those are also out of production (though still common), I recommend the 515RTAAIC module from Real-Time Automation.

If this were my system, I'd probably try to convert the application to a Red Lion G306. But it sounds the the OP is trying to minimize the engineering effort, so having a conversion done to a modern A-B platform might be the simplest thing to do.

The PV550 Keypad models were roughly the size of a PanelView Plus 600 Touchscreen model. The application should be examined to see if keypad entries are an important part of it.

A modern PV+ can be connected to a DH485 network using a 1761-NET-AIC interface/isolator module. As those are also out of production (though still common), I recommend the 515RTAAIC module from Real-Time Automation.

If this were my system, I'd probably try to convert the application to a Red Lion G306. But it sounds the the OP is trying to minimize the engineering effort, so having a conversion done to a modern A-B platform might be the simplest thing to do.

Looks like there not actually interested in trying to update software and have asked for us to source a like for like.
Plccentre.co.uk aka Radwell can get a new surplus stock from the US and offer a 2 year repair warranty.

Is the series, revision and firmware important when I order a particular 2711-K5A2.
The one we have uploaded from was a SER E, REV A with FRN 2.01.
Do I need to specify the exact same specification or will all models of 2711-K5A2 work work with the upload I've obtained.