Acknowledge alarm with Comment in FactoryTalk View Site Edition

mroyce09

Hi. I'm trying to ensure that an operator has to enter in a comment into FactoryTalk View Site Edition (ver 8.10). I know that there is an Acknowledge with comment feature in FT, but when I tested this feature, I noticed that you actually do not need to enter in a comment in the box. It allows you to select the Acknowledge without actually typing in a Comment in the Comment field. Does anyone know a way to ensure that an operator types something into the comment field?

Thanks!

I am afraid there are no FTVSE comment 'enforcement' provisions since the FTVSE 'commenting' features are optional as stated within the relevant documentation.

You may be able to do it by acknowledge it though a VBA command after the operator gives you the information you desire.

Thanks! I'm still learning my way with VBA (I'm a poet and I didn't even know-it, sorry I couldn't resist!). Do you have any suggestions/examples on the VBA code to write for doing that?

You can also use the E-signature ActiveX, Comments are required inside this control.
You don't have to enable performer authentication if you don't want to, but that can be nice as well.

Thanks for the suggesting Dravic. I need to have the comment from the alarm acknowledgment sent to a SQL database. That is why I like having the comment feature enabled on the alarm, that way the comment is tied to the correct event. Any idea if the comment can be send to an SQL database?

The actions of the button, including the comments are saved into the Diagnostic Log at the 'Audit' severity.

You can setup the diagnostic log to write to an ODBC compliant database, you'd do this using the Diagnostics Setup tool.

So, you should be able to do what you want, might need to create a sql view to filter out just the signature events.