22-COMM-E Defaults

NapierianLog

Ive commissioned a 22-COMM-E on a Powerflex 40. I set the IP address in the BOOTP tool and disabled BOOTP but I still do not see it in linx and I can't ping it. I also don't get a request anymore in the BOOTP tool. I was wondering if anyone can give me advice on how to reset the adapter to factory defaults without being able to ping it?

Chances are there was a typo when the IP was set...
Wireshark, a crossover cable, and some luck(as I think the Comm-E send out an ARP request on boot...) should get you there.

Welp, Do you have a 1203-USB or 22-SCM-232? There's another way you can reset it but you'll want to check technote 70463 for that.

Got the mac address of the 22-comm-e? You can try using a cmd prompt and doing
arp -va
and looking for that mac, or grabbing nmap or zenmap and trying to scan all the local subnets(disconnect from the internet for this one)

What would you use for the target for nmap and for the scan type? I tried intense and 192.168.1.0/24.

I tried arp -a, and I didn't see anything besides my computer.

Thanks for all your help!

Ok, assuming you are using the 192.a.b.c range.

I would set my local network card to use a subnet mask of 255.0.0.0.

Then I would scan nmap -sn 192.0.0.0/8. (ping scan)
Make sure you are only connected to the comm-e, or you're going to make your network admin quite annoyed.

Also, go get a cup of coffee, it is going to scan ~17million addresses, so it takes a while :D

Dravik said:
Ok, assuming you are using the 192.a.b.c range...

Let's not assume. Let's ask that question...

NapierianLog,

What is the IP and Subnet address of your workstation when you attempt to establish a connection to the 22-COMM-E adapter (PING, browse RSLinx Classic, etc.)?

Also, how are you physically connected between your workstation and the 22-COMM-E adapter?

An out-of-the-box adapter does of course not yet have an IP address. As BootP is enabled by default, it will broadcast its MAC address onto the network using UDP request packets, seeking out a Server to service those requests. With a valid physical connection to your workstation, which is acting as the BootP Server, the communications are only operating at the MAC address level during this initial request. The IP and Subnet address of the workstation do not matter here.

Once the adapter's MAC address has been assigned an IP address, via the BootP Server, and BootP has been successfully disabled, then the BootP UDP requests, containing only a MAC address, will cease to broadcast. The adapter may now only establish communications with other devices that have a valid and matching network configuration.

So once you have...

NapierianLog said:
...set the IP address in the BOOTP tool and disabled BOOTP...

...you should then make sure that your workstation's network interface is configured to the same IP range and Subnet address as the adapter.

You "sound" like you know a thing or two here, so that may be stating the obvious a bit and you are long passed all that basic stuff. But you have not mentioned so far what your workstation's network configuration is, so I won't assume that you have already crossed that bridge.

Regards,
George