New to PLC world some what

odorfree

Hi to all.
New to the site and to PLC knowledge to an extent. i am retired and have been for 8 years looking to get back to work and have an interest in PLC programming and maintenance troubling shooting. I am looking for some pointers as how best to learn and apply. Thank you for any comments. Good day

Hi and thank you for your response.
To answer your question I really do not have a base to work off of. No language knowledge. I started as a maintenance floor supervisor some 40 years ago stayed with the same company. Left as project engineer/ utility manager. Got sent to China for three year so I think I did something right.
When I started with the company A/B just came out with the 20/20 system if if you remember that system. I believe that is correct. Our warehouse conveyor system was design with that system in mind. I have gone to various schools over the year on A/B PLC changes for the company but only to have a knowledge of what the techs were doing and be able to converse with them. No programming or maintenance troubling shooting.
Retired had my own electrical wiring business but after hip (both) and back operations had to get out. Sat home and the mind started to go.
Started doing math problems at home to keep the mind busy then thought about learning PLC work. However I do have a job part time on the weekends, but not real challenging.Oh I am 69, am I told old? I am in good health thank God and I love to work. I want to learn PLC troubling shooting for maintenance and programming. Love the thought of it. Hope I did not ramble on to much, daughter says I talk more not since retirement then ever before.

To get a taste start with the online tutorial at the top of this site. Note that books and videos are also available.

To play around some more go to the AutomationDirect site and download the Do-more software which includes a powerful simulator.

I'm retired also but after over 30 years of PLC programming, primarily Allen Bradley and AutomationDirect.

Oh I am 69, am I told old?

Nice! I dont think your to old... we have a few old farts around here, their only problem is they are hard of hearing :)

You should try some of the free stuff to see if its something your interested in before you spend any money or much

I sell trainers, you can buy one and if its something your not interested in after 45 days send it back and I will refund your money, just make sure its returned before 60 days as thats the limit for the credit card companies for refunds

Below are some that I would recommend (depending on your budget) they all have free software so you would not need anything else

https://www.plccable.com/allen-brad...ing-starter-kit-with-lessons-for-rslogix-500/

https://www.plccable.com/allen-brad...w-plc-trainer-micro800-training-kit-ethernet/

https://www.plccable.com/automation-direct-plc-trainer-click-koyo-training/

Give me a call if you want to talk about your options

Mark

Please NOTE: This is only my opinion!!

If you are just looking for some part time work, then what you are doing will get you there.

But If you are looking for FULL TIME and want to progress in the World of Industrial Automation, then you will have to check out "Inductive Automation" (Ignition Scada).

I seen more and more from all Industry's the push to get as much data as possible and the end user wants all of this to come from a single source or at least only a few.

So you owe it to yourself to check out how Industrial Automation is moving toward the future.

I wish you the best of luck, as I was also retired and went back to work!!

Want to thank you all for the information. What a blessing. I will look into into all the suggestion listed above. With all my heart this has been a pleasure thank you all again.

First of all, 69 is not old. I'm 74 and retired, but still love PLCs and programming. I especially love the older plcs. You can learn plcs too. The main thing is don't get in too big of a hurry.
For of the cheaper solutions, I would suggest downloading the Free Micrologix software and Emulator from AB/Rockwell. They make it difficult to find the free download but I'm sure someone here will post how to download it. I saw a thread a few days ago that had that info. Maybe someone can find the thread and point you to it. I believe the link below was the thread I was thinking of but maybe not.
Link:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=112363

The 2nd choice for me would be to go to TheLearningPit.com site and get their free Trial software. Also, Bookmark their site as they have a lot of tutorial materials.
Here is the main link to that site:
http://www.thelearningpit.com/

Since you have done some maintenance and electrical wiring, I would suggest that you contact an industrial electrical contracting company. That is the industry that I worked in for over 20 years before retiring.

Last edited:
First of all, 69 is not old. I'm 74 and retired

Really ? I never knew... hope to run into you someday and buy you lunch 🍻 I plan on moving back up to Lake Lure NC area so maybe someday we can get together

Funny... you see what people write for years and you never really think about there age or what they look like, I know Steve just retired and a few other are not long behind him like Russ and Ron is trying to get out just not sure if he ever will

Read the following and found the material to be very interesting, thank you for the tip. https://www.prlog.org/12642091-marsh...-industry.html and the PDF material at www.mei-tech.com’
Also talk to a coordinator at the local community college went in unannounced to explore possibilities of being a teacher and would you believe it there is a class coming up in January to teach machine wiring diagrams along with ladder wiring. He seem interested and ask for my college transcripts, resume and to fill out an application online.

good reads

Read the following and found the material to be very interesting, thank you for the tip. https://www.prlog.org/12642091-marsh...-industry.html and the PDF material at www.mei-tech.com’
Also talk to a coordinator at the local community college went in unannounced to explore possibilities of being a teacher and would you believe it there is a class coming up in January to teach machine wiring diagrams along with ladder wiring. He seem interested and ask for my college transcripts, resume and to fill out an application online.

Last edited: