You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old November 16th, 2017, 06:42 PM   #1
keshik
Lifetime Supporting Member
Canada

FactoryTalk View Studio - ME/SE Alarms

We have a fair amount of different ME projects that we occasionally have to bring into a SE project. Is there a good way to bring the alarms over without having to spend a lot of time reworking them? Is there a better way to structure them in ME to make it easier?

Thanks.
Old November 18th, 2017, 02:13 AM   #2
chavak
Malaysia

I like to trigger it by value rather than bits.
Reduce the hassle of mapping the amount of bit tags.
______
Old November 20th, 2017, 01:29 PM   #3
keshik
Canada

Is that for ME only? Does that transfer easier to SE?
Old November 21st, 2017, 12:27 PM   #4
arlenjacobs
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by keshik View Post
We have a fair amount of different ME projects that we occasionally have to bring into a SE project. Is there a good way to bring the alarms over without having to spend a lot of time reworking them? Is there a better way to structure them in ME to make it easier?

Thanks.
No, there is no easy way to bring them into SE.
The alarm systems are so very different; SE is threshold based alarms and ME is trigger (exact value) based alarms.

To make it easiest, be sure to only use HMI digital tags for your alarm triggers.
Do not use an analog trigger, with multiple values. Do not use expressions.
Neither of those are easy to bring into SE.

The HMI alarms in SE are tag based, and all their configuration is in the HMI tag database (that excludes the other alarming system in SE; FT Alarms and Events). The one benefit of the SE alarms is that you can use the Tag Import/Export tool to export the SE HMI tag alarms to CSV. That can make edits for import a lot quicker.

These would be the steps that I would use:
1)Export the ME tags to *.csv file. Export the alarms to *.xml file.
2)Import the tags *.csv into your SE project
3)Create a couple HMI alarms in your SE project (as an example template for the csv file)
4)Export the SE alarms and tags to CSV.

At this point you can either try to use the alarms.xml file in Excel (it's not easy to learn how to use xml files in Excel).
Or, you can open the Alarm Editor in ME and just copy paste all the alarm message rows into Excel. Then manually format into the SE alarms.csv file.

That's it. That's the way to do it.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum