How to upload project from Panelview 1000+

Paully
what I have is this. I have a new job and have been given a task to add two PB's into a PV+1000. The guy that was doing the job before me is not with the company anymore and he has made changes to the program that is in it now. I do have the original program but their has been several changes to it. (New products and so on) The person that is not with the company anymore has all of the programs and is not wanting to give them up for some reason. Is their not any way to get around this.

The .APA file is required to make any changes to the Panelview project. The .MER is created from the .APA file. The .MER is only a RUNTIME compilation of the projectt which is what runs on the Panelview.

If the former employee will not return the programs in which the company owns....you'd better talk to your boss, that's a big big problem.

The only other option is to use your "dated" .APA and try to determine what was changed, add those changes, along with the changes you need to make.

There is no simple solution.

Maybe this guy who left still has his computer with IT and you can find the files there? This has worked for us in the past when an employee has left.

This discussion also brings up a great point, why is there no official "repository" sever/hard drive partition that is dedicated to keeping the programs?

Because hindsight is 20/20.

I would try converting the current .MER file back to an .APA and see what you get.

It's not hindsight, its responsibility. Any Company/Engineer/Technician/Manager that trusts a single laptop with it's operational PLC/HMI programs is a company I never want to be involved with. Especially when it is KNOWN that you cannot simply upload PV+ programs/PLC programs and edit them. And yes, you can upload PLC programs but without comments/descriptions it's just as worhless. It's complete irresponsibility. Or some may see it as "job security".

Since the OP is new to the company, it's a question that he needs to ask. Who knows, maybe there is a central location for programs, but it hasn't been used. Never hurts to ask the question.

Hindsight is no excuse when the Plant Manager asks why you can't put two simple buttons on a screen, or worse yet why he's losing $10K every hour the machine is down because the CPU took a dump and you don't have the program to load onto the replacement CPU.

Last edited:
I know places I have worked at typically have had a network folder for each job based on Automation programs that programmers typically will upload any new programs/changes so that if someone else is heading ot site, they will have the most up to date program. This would have definitely helped in this situation.

I hope the OP can somehow find these originals and add the required buttons.

It's not hindsight, its responsibility. Any Company/Engineer/Technician/Manager that trusts a single laptop with it's operational PLC/HMI programs is a company I never want to be involved with. Especially when it is KNOWN that you cannot simply upload PV+ programs/PLC programs and edit them. And yes, you can upload PLC programs but without comments/descriptions it's just as worhless. It's complete irresponsibility. Or some may see it as "job security".

Since the OP is new to the company, it's a question that he needs to ask. Who knows, maybe there is a central location for programs, but it hasn't been used. Never hurts to ask the question.

Hindsight is no excuse when the Plant Manager asks why you can't put two simple buttons on a screen, or worse yet why he's losing $10K every hour the machine is down because the CPU took a dump and you don't have the program to load onto the replacement CPU.

You're preaching to the choir dude but in the real world it rarely happens - and I'm talking on car lines that generate $10K per minute.

ps: well, I'll say there are more cases of no annotation or outdated versions of archived machine code than there should - easily 50%+ in my experience.

Last edited:
not to steal a thread but I searched through and this is only thread I found and didn't want to clutter so continuing with this. I'm not in the same boat but I am, I am using factory talk and I am trying to upload files from a panelview plus 1000 to my laptop with ethernet connection. I can see the processor but everytime I try to upload it tells me invalid source type. I try to select source type and it won't let me. anyone got any ideas.

Thx

What is the RSLinx Enterprise Upload shortcut pointing to?...most likely not a PV+ terminal...You are uploading from the HMI terminal and not from the CPU/PLC controller.
You will have to "drill-down" to the HMI terminal's subnet location in order to access the .mer application.