Copy Rs Logix 500 In Another Computer

sanjay_snj

hi all,

i am using RSLOGIX 500 in my laptop on WIN 98 OS. RS Linx is also installed and i am using it to communicate with SLC 500 PLC using COM port. I am starting RS LOGIX using activation master disk.

i have another laptop with OS WIN XP. i have installed RS LOGIX 500 & Rs Linx on it and try to start RS LOGX with activation key. But i am getting the error "Fatal Error - The available copy protection user install count has been exceeded. You will need to wait until another user exits the software or purchase additional install counts."

i tried to install RS Linx and then RS LOGIX but result is same.

then i uninstall RS LINK and keep only RS LOGIX. Now am able to start RS LOGIX using the activation master disk. But since RS Linx is not installed so i cannot use it to communicate with PLC SLC 500. (Obviously i will require another cable for WIN XP and usb PORT communication)

what is the problem. if any body know please help me.

sounds like you need another activation key. you have to have activation i believe for each piece of software you are running.

Are you sure you did not move the activation from the master disk to your hard drive on the first computer? You can use evmove to check where it is. Also- are both installations the same serial number?

Or...

You could use RSLinx Lite on one of the PCs... But you probably did not remove both keys from the original... Go and look with you master disk...

hello

i did not move the activation from the floppy to the hard disk. also i check and found that activation is there on the floppy only. both installation is for the same serial no. one more thing i would like to add - the installation sequence of RS LOGIX & RS Linx is like this :
a) RS LOGIX & RS Linx installed in one 1st Laptop (OS WIN98) - Working ok. Activation kept on floppy only (with master disk - say A ).
b) After this i installed the RS Linx & RS Logix on 2nd Laptop (OS WIN98). Working ok with the same activation disk (A).
c) Again RS Linx & RS Logix is installed on 3rd Laptop (OS WIN XP). Here it is not working with the same master disk having the activation key. When i un installed the RS Linx, i found i am able to open the RS Logix 500. But if i install RS Linx & RS Logic together on 3rd Laptop, it does not work.

Note: Same RS LOGIX CD is used to install at 3 places.

Any clue ?

RSLinx Lite doesn't require an activation...

For the issue w/ WinXP, what version of Logix500 are you using? You do know you can download the latest version from the AB website, right?

thanx for reply from evdy.

today again i repeated the same procedure of uninstallation and installation.

first i login to WIN98 on the same laptop and install first RS Linx & then RS Logix and it works. i was able to start RS Logix and RS Linx.

then i login to WIN XP on same laptop and uninstall RS Linx and RS Logix. During uninstall of RS Logix , it ask to insert master disk, i inserted it and after that same procedure adopted. first i install rs linx and then rs logix. and this time it works.

sanjay_snj said:
thanx for reply from evdy.

today again i repeated the same procedure of uninstallation and installation.

first i login to WIN98 on the same laptop and install first RS Linx & then RS Logix and it works. i was able to start RS Logix and RS Linx.

then i login to WIN XP on same laptop and uninstall RS Linx and RS Logix. During uninstall of RS Logix , it ask to insert master disk, i inserted it and after that same procedure adopted. first i install rs linx and then rs logix. and this time it works.
I had the same problem and tried several things to correct this error. The thing that worked was to use a newer version of the software to be used in Windows XP. I am sure that will fix your problem. I use mine almost every day.

Good Luck;

Dave