Touch Screens versus Laptop

Lionel

Another Question

For cost and simplicity reasons.

Can I get some input on the differences between using Touch Screens
versus using a laptop with the Loookout program? I can get a fairly
good laptop for about $500.00 on ebay and the Loookout program for about $400.00.

It seems like an eight inch color touch screen is kind of expensive.

Please give me your thoughts.

Thanks
Lionel

1. What would prevent the laptop growing legs then walking away?
2. An HMI and a Scada/ HMI package are designed and bought for different reasons, you buy what you need.
3. A computer/laptop isnt specifically designed for industrial environments for day to day operation. You can buy them ruggedized for this kind of application but again the price increases. Interfaces are designed to be used in even very harsh environments in some cases.

This is another "It depends" situation, not knowing the usage or environment its hard to say, except for the laptop part. Use a desktop/tower type computer if its to be attached to a machine full time, less likely and too bulky to grow legs then walk away.

If its not going to be attached to the machine full time then what do you need with the HMI software?

There are HMI or Operator Interfaces available thru ebay and other places that sell used components for comparable prices.

Let me explain a little more. This Plc will be used in a motorhome for monitoring and controlling. The laptop should be safe. The only problem I see with the laptop is space. The problem I see with the touch screen is cost.

Thanks

Have you looked into items like the TRI LOGIC PLC

Its not that expensive, offers analog inputs and has a display built in.

Some low cost HMI:
http://www.hmidirect.com/index_products.htm

EZTouch_Panels/EZTouch_Units

EZ Text Units

Optimate Panels

There are more but this should give you things to look at.

The problem with the laptop is the no power thing, being a MH I think you need to use something that can run off 12 or 24vdc and be available at all times. That is your decision to make though.

Last edited:
Touchscreen

You might want to give a look at the Unitronics Vision 280 PLC with built-in touchscreen. They are manys to go, just find a solution that fits your needs.