allen bradley slc 500

G_Robot

Hi this is my 1st time posting on this site, but i have been following the posts on the dreaded plc coursework questions, and you will never guess, i have just recived the very same assignment, the questions are identical! but thanks to this site i have gained almost all the info i need, except 1 bit, does anyone know of any disadvantages with the allen bradley slc 500 plc? if so any replys would be welcomed.

cheers

It depends on the exact model, some of the lower end units do not support on line editing.
The line has been around for a long time, and my be phased out sometime in the future, it's not part of the latest family of processors from AB.

Doesn't support structured text, function blocks or sequential function charts.

Must take processor off line to write to eeprom, if installed.

SLC-500 is quite good, so that is a hard one. I'll try, even if I have no problem about recommending it.

Programming is only in Ladder.

Not suitable for the very largest or the most demanding application.

It is in the end of its product lifetime (*). The nearest successor is CompactLogix which has allready been around for some time.

*: Of course, AB will continue to support it for many years onwards.

Also try to look in the PLC Reviews section.

G_Robot said:
Hi this is my 1st time posting on this site, but i have been following the posts on the dreaded plc coursework questions, and you will never guess, i have just recived the very same assignment, the questions are identical! but thanks to this site i have gained almost all the info i need, except 1 bit, does anyone know of any disadvantages with the allen bradley slc 500 plc? if so any replys would be welcomed.

cheers

If you are speaking of the early SLC 5/00, 5/01s, and 5/02s, one of the biggest drawbacks I ran into was the inability to go from program to run and back due to the lack of a keyswitch on the front.

I wish the SLC line would allow battery changing without powering down and removing the processor! This can create a huge problem with a maintenance program.

Ticks me off that it doesn't have an on/off switch. I'd like to be able to restart the Devicenet card without powering down everything connected to the entire cell. Cycling power on the processor would be wonderful.
SLC500's etc.. are not hot swappable like the ControlLogix. You have to power it down to remove and replace defective cards. I've never used this function though.

Logic would suggest that you find the model that replaced the slc 500, find it's advantages over it's predecessor and go from there.