In Theory how does one report bugs to Rockwell?

theColonel26

Lifetime Supporting Member
In theory how does one report bugs to Rockwell?

Yeah fat chance getting them to fix them, but I figured I would try anyways. Studio 5000 is repeatably crashing when I am editing Structured Text AOI Calls.

I know, I know, Rockwell is great, it doesn't have bugs. Kindly hold your tongues Rockwell Fan Boys :angr: no ones cares.

I use the "Submit a Question" feature of my TechConnect service contract. It allows me to submit a support question in a trackable way with sufficient details to make it actionable.

If you don't have one of those, your options are the technical staff at your distributor, or the technical staff at your local Rockwell sales office.

The thesis that "you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar" applies at Rockwell the same as everywhere else.

... the technical staff at your distributor, or the technical staff at your local Rockwell sales office ...

No matter what, I would include your distributor.

The last time I got crashes, it was related to watch window. Not allowing the watch window to open fixed my crashes. Are you allowing the watch window to open?

What version? I haven't had Sudioo 5000 crashes in a loooong time.
32.02.00 Pro

It doesn't like how I format my AOI Calls. It is perfectly valid ST but the active linter that runs and checks your code while you type doesn't like it. I think that is what causes crashes some times when editing the call parameters.

Code:
My_AOI(instance1,
    Param_1_BlahBlahBlah
    Param_2_BlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlah,
    Param_3_BlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlah,
    Param_4_BlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlah,
    Param_5_BlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlah,
    Param_6_BlahBlahBlah);
I use the "Submit a Question" feature of my TechConnect service contract. It allows me to submit a support question in a trackable way with sufficient details to make it actionable.

If you don't have one of those, your options are the technical staff at your distributor, or the technical staff at your local Rockwell sales office.

The thesis that "you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar" applies at Rockwell the same as everywhere else.
I know, but here I can say what I really think. If they care enough I'm sure they can figure out who I really am. I'll be nice to their face. :D

My License is currently in limbo at the moment. It is getting renewed, after it expired, so I will try to download an update after I get it reactivated.

No matter what, I would include your distributor.

The last time I got crashes, it was related to watch window. Not allowing the watch window to open fixed my crashes. Are you allowing the watch window to open?
Yes, but I am offline and there is nothing in the watch list right now.

I will try it with it closed......

And it still crashes. Good thing I have been saving every time I change even the tiniest thing

Possible helpful solution

A. Contact Rockwell TECH support for possible solution

B. But if project in-hand (customer needs) needs immediate solution:
Consider "brute force Ladder Logic"... never fails.

Sometimes we have to abandon the way we want to get the job done our way, and just get the job done.

Perhaps R33 will allow your ST AOI calls to flow seamlessly.

My $0.02

Regards

Plastic

I keep a running list of Rockwell bugs in the back of my daily log. Then at the end of the year I send them to my RW rep and he forwards them to the development team. They have actually called me back before to get more information so I guess they are getting them.

Last years list was 52 items long! Not including regular tech support calls.

I keep a running list of Rockwell bugs in the back of my daily log. Then at the end of the year I send them to my RW rep and he forwards them to the development team. They have actually called me back before to get more information so I guess they are getting them.

Last years list was 52 items long! Not including regular tech support calls.
Huh, Well, That seems better than nothing LOL (y)

I find that telling them the competition is better, cheaper and the reason how I came about those two facts, is a lot better incentive... but I suppose there's a cultural element to it.

I'm with Ken, I use the Submit a Question button. I also find it helpful to have a screen recording to show what happens. It cuts through the initial hassle of proving that I know what I am doing. Now if I could just find a way to do that with my cable internet provider.

OG

I find that telling them the competition is better, cheaper and the reason how I came about those two facts, is a lot better incentive... but I suppose there's a cultural element to it.
The reason we Americans love British humour is that we don't understand it.:)