CCW online monitoring

Jim G.

I have a system with a MicroLogix 830. It has a simple program with relay commands and timers. It was installed several years ago and programmed with Connected Components Workbench ver 9.0.
It has run fine. I just tried to hook up to it yesterday and could not get the software to show I/O status online. It showed "connected". Using a usb cable to connect to the PLC.

We have TechConnect, so they were called for assistance. Went through several steps including deleting some Harmony files. Still could not get online monitoring to work. Was told to upgrade to version 13 which I think is the latest. Have not done this yet, but will soon.

My question is, how does a system that was originally programmed with one version and has not been touched, suddenly not work when you go back into it. I remember being able to monitor this when it was first commissioned. We have changed nothing and I am using the same laptop and software that was used in the beginning.

What would make CCW fail to work later?

Could be almost anything. Registry changes, software installs, firewall changes, etc.

My "based on absolutely no knowledge" guess would be the usb adaptor is using a different/non supported com port, or there is a conflict somewhere with the selected com port.