Installing Wonderware 2012 after 2020 install was removed

phuz

I completely uninstalled Wonderware 2020 and all the related components, rebooted, and then tried to install InTouch 2012, but it won't proceed.

If I just select InTouch development/runtime, click next (w/o selecting customize) it says that nothing has been selected. If I click customize and try to select InTouch runtime/development, they simply will not check. Ideas as to what is going on? I've used this same install ISO image many times in the past.

Untitled.png

Last edited:
There might be some left behind registry entries, etc. that are messing you up. Here is a doc to scrub a SP2020 uninstall clean: https://softwaresupportsp.aveva.com/#/okmimarticle/docid/tn000032573

It's also possible that whatever modern OS worked with 2020, may not work with 2012. Microsoft security updates can break old software.

I thought that, too, so I attempted on a VM that never had WW installed and getting the same error. Then I grabbed a fresh install image and I'm getting that error as well.

Last thing I tried to was to use that same image on a Win7 machine and it worked. So you can't install Wonderware 2012 on a Windows 10 machine?

Make sure you unblock the ISO in the properties before you mount it. I've also seen the need to copy the ISO files to HDD, then run the install.

I thought that, too, so I attempted on a VM that never had WW installed and getting the same error. Then I grabbed a fresh install image and I'm getting that error as well.

Last thing I tried to was to use that same image on a Win7 machine and it worked. So you can't install Wonderware 2012 on a Windows 10 machine?

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. There are many dependencies on MS components, so OS can make a big difference. SP 2012 was tested on XP through Win7, and Server 2003 through 2008 R2, pretty ancient in software terms.

Install went OK now, but WindowMaker fails to open. I think we just need to build a Win7 testing environment to run this.

D'oh!

Is this part of your search for the Active-X?

No, this is unrelated.
One of the Wonderware techs thought we might have success trying to run it in compatibility mode, but no dice. No matter what, WindowMaker won't fire up. I think one of the plant's techs is able to procure a Win7 machine for us to test in the AM.

Yes Win11 is a pain, I have a couple of USB/232 converters, one will definitely not work on Win 11, the other I managed to get it to work using a driver that is not for that chip but it works. every time win11 updates it reports the driver is not compatible, I just keep re-installing it after an update & it works, will have to bite the bullet & buy another converter that has the FDTI chip, also had a problem with Lazarus (which I do use quite a bit), again after an update it lost a component, I re-installed it, fine, another update & it lost it again.