Crimson 3.0 Red Lion Extract Issue

Caleb_newprog

Well, I have yet another question for the great minds on this forum! We have a red lion HMI for one of our machines and every time I hook my computer up to it via USB, the HMI freaks out and completely freezes. After is it frozen for 15 seconds, it sits in an awkward bootup state and does not change. Thus leaving me to not be able to extract the image to make the changes I need to make. I have heard that having RSlinx up can take over communications, but having the app closed, still did not work. Need help understanding why this is happening when I was able to do it earlier this year? 🤞🏻

Is your laptop plugged into a power supply when you plug in the USB? If so unplug the power supply.

How is the HMI conne tes to the PLC? If is on ethernet get on the network and extract it that way. Ive had a few pc over the years that caused problems with the USB. I usually just grab a different laptop and use it.

How is the HMI conne tes to the PLC? If is on ethernet get on the network and extract it that way. Ive had a few pc over the years that caused problems with the USB. I usually just grab a different laptop and use it.

Alright, I'll try it that way! Just can fathom why this is such an issue now when it wasn't a little while ago... The HMI is connected directly to the PLC itself no network switch.

There is a ground screw on the back of the unit. Is there a ground cable there to the machine ground. Not having grounds can cause a lot of electeical noise issues.

There is a ground screw on the back of the unit. Is there a ground cable there to the machine ground. Not having grounds can cause a lot of electeical noise issues.

Yes! It is grounded correctly, I think. The wiring is coming from a 120 to 24 dc converter -, +24vdc, There are two wires going to the - and two wires going to the +.

There is a ground screw on the back of the HMI where a green wire is landed and then ran to the ground bar

If you are trying to extract with a newer version of Crimson 3.x than what was used to load the HMI, it is likely that the HMI will restart, but shouldn't freeze. That will occur after you start the extract process (even using Ethernet), not right when you plug in the USB cable.

I once had a sketchy USB cable that caused a Graphite to lock up when I used it and a different cable worked fine, so I tossed the suspect one in the trash.

The old G3 HMIs had a ground screw on the back of the case and I think the Graphites do too, but we usually just ground the newer HMIs at the ground terminal of the power connector.

Also, there was an early version of Crimson 3.1 that would cause certain models of CR series HMIs to get stuck at the boot screen. Updating them with a later version of Crimson 3.1 would fix that.