5069-OF8 4-20 dropping out

phuz

I am almost 100% sure this is related to the issue with the customer losing the 5069-IF8 input module the other day, but alas, it's another strange one I've never seen. I get a call about several control valves on I/Ps that are "hissing" every 10-15 seconds. Also the LEDs on the channels on the card itself would flash red every time this happened. I looked and the valve output is completely closed (20mA - reverse acting), and steady. I had them put a meter on one of the spare channels that I set to 20mA and told them to watch it next time the LEDs flash red. Sure enough, the output dropped to 0mA and came right back up to 20mA. No faults on the card, and as far as the PLC can tell, it's healthy. 24vdc power supply is rock steady with no dips.

My money is on another card failure.