AB 6200 for PLC5. "TCP/IP KERNEL IS NOT LOADED"

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
A have a customer with an old PLC5 control system where the CPU is in fault.
The CPU is an PLC5-40E with ethernet.
I suggested the customer that they investigate the CPU status by going online with the 6200 software which they have.
When they try to go online, the 6200 software displays the message "TCP/IP KERNEL IS NOT LOADED, CHECK TCP/IP CONFIGURATION".

I dont know yet what OS the PC is running, or if it is a VM or what. I am trying to get more info.

Anyone have any idea about the 6200 message described above ?

6200-PLC5 of course is DOS based software that has been obsolete since the mid 1990s.

I agree that basic troubleshooting of the TCP/IP stack that they're using in DOS is going to be necessary.

Obviously get them to cycle the keyswitch to see if the controller will clear a minor fault.

This might be a situation where, after decades, they're finally going to have to hire in someone with "modern" PLC-5 software.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it best to boot directly into DOS when using 6200? I don't believe that Windows drivers are compatible unless RSLinx is being ran as a service, but even then there's a bit of hit-or-miss there.

I shall ask about the PC details, and ask them to try and ping the CPU.

I googled "AB 6200 PLC5 TCP/IP KERNEL IS NOT LOADED, CHECK TCP/IP CONFIGURATION" and got no hits. So I am pessimistic about troubleshooting an old DOS or Windows 95 PC.

In the other thread, I have come to the conclusion that an expert with RSLogix5 is needed to troubleshoot the PLC onsite.

Jesper It's been a while since I have used 6200 but I know if they are truly accessing it from DOS then DOS needs to be configured with a PC/ TCP / IP kernel so it can communicate. I had a NetManage 16-bit driver on a floppy for the occasion. I'm sure they can find a copy online somewhere.

I think RSLinx menu in 6200 might work if they can't load a comms kernel. From memory it's F2 from the main directory.

What is happening is that they are booting the 6200 software with no communications drivers loaded. They may have to be loaded manually in DOS.

This is from memory, but I think that you need to setup Interchange for the communication. At some point 6200 started to support RSLinx, and there was a special option for it in the 6200 comms setup.

I am not sure what is going on here. Maybe they have simply found the old install disks for 6200 and installed it on a new PC or a new VM, and not done anything to setup the comms.