RSLinx Classic EtherNet/IP Driver Adapters

aiki202

How does RSLinx Classic EtherNet/IP Driver "Windows Default" adapter relate to the all of the available Windows adapters?

Is there a way to correlate the "Windows Default" selection to a specific adapter?

Can or does this default adapter change based on available adapters (like if using a VM, or if disabling an adapter, etc.)?

None of the RA literature even mentions this selection (at least everything I have read thru). Most folks I have asked over the years simply don't use this selection as it's an unknown.

Interesting... so the target adapter CAN change based on various conditions of the computer.

This was my main question... is the Windows Default adapter for the EtherNet/IP Driver always pointed at the hardwired (RJ45) NIC if it was available or could it change.

Thanks!

I personally never set it to use the default adapter.

Since connecting every time usually requires changing the IP address to match the PLC subnet I always select the device I am connected to, whether that be the hard wired adapter or WiFi adapter. This also avoids it hooking up to the TeamViewer and VPN virtual adapters.

It certainly can. In my experience it doesn't do so by itself, something else needs to happen or be modified for it to change.
But agree you should set it. Else it will change on the first day of your vacation.