Siemens Analog card configuration issue

akky

Hey guys!

I have come across an unique issue. Hoping that I can find some solution here.
I want to replace an existing S7-1214 DC/DC/DC plc with 4AI/2AO module with a newer version of same model PLC but with different programming as I cannot access old program due to V13 in the existing PLC. I am using V15.1.
The issue is that when I am downloading HW configuration into my PLC, the analog module lights up Flashing Red; when checked in Diagnostics, it said that "Missing supply voltage". But there was 24VDC supply when i physically checked the same.
Moreover, I was surprised when I connected the old PLC and found that the Analog module LED was OK.

Please help!!!

Have you got any sensors wired to the analogue inputs, not used this model but the analogue inputs require a signal and are passive so for example a pressure sensor either needs 24v (4 wire device) or 3 wire where external power is applied to the + terminal of the sensor, - to the sensor, - to the PLC AI in Common & signal to the AI in terminals, it is possible if not connected i.e. testing on bench then they see the inputs as open circuit & show a fault.

Have you got any sensors wired to the analogue inputs, not used this model but the analogue inputs require a signal and are passive so for example a pressure sensor either needs 24v (4 wire device) or 3 wire where external power is applied to the + terminal of the sensor, - to the sensor, - to the PLC AI in Common & signal to the AI in terminals, it is possible if not connected i.e. testing on bench then they see the inputs as open circuit & show a fault.

I had checked by giving input as well as without it.
Only for my plc it shows the led flashing error. But when connected to existing plc, it is ok

How can I determine if the firmware version is right?
I had downloaded the latest version available in the software.

Go to 'Device Configuration' right click on the module, properties, catalog information. For reference, I just checked one that was installed in 2019 (I think) and the firmware version is showing V2.0 for all the modules.

I know that for the CPU the firmware that it ships with probably won't be available in V15.1, but it should either still work with an older firmware in the project, or you can change it.

Do you have the right firmware version on the project you downloaded?

Go to 'Device Configuration' right click on the module, properties, catalog information. For reference, I just checked one that was installed in 2019 (I think) and the firmware version is showing V2.0 for all the modules.

I know that for the CPU the firmware that it ships with probably won't be available in V15.1, but it should either still work with an older firmware in the project, or you can change it.

Hi, the version is 2.0 for the module and 4.3 for the PLC.

Wiring diagram of your hardware including the Analog module. The error message indicates that the module is not getting power, so the question is , are you wiring the newodule correctly.

Yes I am because, while measuring the voltage across the terminals I am getting 24VDC.
You can find same attached

Great and thank you.

Just to entirely elimate with ng issue reference the 0 volt to the same ground.

So it will come down trial and error. Remove the analog module and download anything to the PLC alone. Then add the module and download a blank/minimal program and see what happens

If you are able to upload your project without any code, just a skeleton of the existing hardware someone may be able to spot something.

have you played with the middle connector to make sure it is securely slided in the plc ?

Btw your V15 licence should allow you to run together an older version like v13 and compare both if i'm not mistaken.

Probably unrelated, but worth mentioning. I recently loaded a brand new, out of the box S71214 using an SD card, and one of the analogue channels was reading about 1.7 times higher than it should. I knew what was going in to it, I had a meter reading the 4-20mA signal, and I was feeding it from a test PLC analogue output, so I even knew what that said it was giving out. Lots of scratching of head!! Swapped the analogue, still no change. Swapped the PLC which fixed things, but I needed the second PLC for another job, so had to swap it back.

I finally fixed it by re-downloading the PLC HW configuration from my laptop, and suddenly the reading was right. So I suggest reloading the HW configuration, or maybe going as far as to factory reset the PLC and start again from the beginning.

Last edited: