How to make the plc dial

MRBA

Hello!
I am using a AD DL205 and a GSM modem to send a text message whenever an input goes high.But now I want to try to program the plc to make a dial to my regular phone. Example: The input goes high, the modem dials me up and when I answered the call I hear a tone.After a few sec. the plc program hang up the phone.
Is this possible to do?
Please show me some examples if it is!

You could do it with a Basic Co-Processor.

Also, Sixnet had modems that could be configured to dial a number when a contact closes.

Thanks for fast reply!

I know I can, because I have built an autodialler based an a PIC prosessor.I wrote the program in asm.language and the dialler dials out to 6 different number and makes a high/low tone. It works very good.
But if it is possible, I tought it would be easier to do the whole thing in the plc ladder and AT commands,but as you know I am not so good at the plc programming so maybe it will be difficult to do.

I think it would be all but impossible in ladder logic. Using the Basic Co-Processor for the 205 you have all of the string commands etc. reuired to dial with the Hayses AT command set. The co-processor has a serial port.

I don't know what the DL205 has available in terms of generating tones, but some PLCs can generate tones via the Pulse Train capability (Note, this is not PWM - Pulse Width Modulation). The key word there is "tones"... notice the plural.

If using tones on a phoneline for dialing, the phone system requires two concurrent tones. DTMF, the standard for dialing tones, = "Dual-Tone Multiple-Frequency".

Some PLC's, like the S7-200, have two outputs that can be used to produce two Pulse-Train Outputs. With proper configuration the tones can be combined.

You can go through the effort to generate an actual audio tone (like the world famous "BlueBox" that was used to commit fraud on the phone system in the 60's... but then you need to have an unhooked phone to hear the tones...

...or you can simply feed the combined frequency signals into the phoneline. (NOTE: There is a Caveat! ...later)

I don't recall what the highend frequency limit is on the S7, but, for those that are interested in pursuing... the DTMF Frequencies are...

1 2 3 A 697 Hz
4 5 6 B 770 Hz
7 8 9 C 852 Hz
* 0 # D 941 Hz
1209 Hz 1336 Hz 1477 Hz 1633 Hz

That is, "1" consists of two tones... 697 Hz and 1209 Hz.
The A, B, C, and D are archaic.

Now all you have to do is meet the requirements of FCC Part 68.

If you plan on feeding the combined signals directly into the line then you must meet the requirements of FCC Part 68. That is the afore mentioned Caveat.

Here is a pointer to FCC Part 68... http://www.ce-mag.com/99ARG/Gubish233.html

Pay attention to the part, in FCC Part 68, about boosting the high frequency power level above the low frequency power level.

They (the FCC) show you what is neccesary to ensure that you comply with the regulation.

So... it boils down to... are you a do-it-yourself kinda guy... or do you prefer the "package-deal"? This is entirely up to you.

(68)