OT: How many of you robot programmers would ride this?

chakorules

I dunno about you guys but as many robots as I've seen be "glitchy", you probablly won't see me strapped on this ride:

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/scitech/US/techtv_roboride030616.html

Can you imagine what OSHA has to say about this? Where does the line lay between "industrial" robot safety and amusement park rides? Two years ago two guys got busted in a work place for writting a "bull ride code" for a big ABB robot, they even brought a saddle in....

I guess maybe it would be no different than riding a coaster, but I got to tour Cedar Point behind the scenes one time, and I feel better knowing that the RAPTOR is controlled by four PLC5, redundant...two safety programs, and two keep track of the train programs....

I found more pictures of the ride above here:
http://www.kukarobotics.com/press_releases/pr_robocoaster_usa.htm

Wicked eh?

Never worked with KUKA, but my experiences with FANUC and MOTOMAN robots would keep me off of that ride....much less one that is controlled by a PC running standard Microsoft Windows software.

Interesting though. :D

A guy from my work rode that thing a couple weeks ago at the Robotics and Vision Show in Chicago. He survived, although he has always been a little strange. I'm not sure if it is the exact same one. He had to sign some document saying they weren't liable if windows crashed and decided to repeatedly slam his head into the ground.

Kind of brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "Blue Screen of Death" when the last word can now be taken literally... utoh

beerchug

-Eric

We had a robot like that loading 6 CNC machines (they were in a circle around the robot). Not long after I started working here we came in to find the robot had PUNCHED the doors off all six machines. I could not imagine riding that thing.

:nodi: OHH YAH!!! Sign me up.
Man, I thought I was the only one that had this twisted thought using robots for rides. I work around over a hundred robots each day for ten years now and never have seen one just decide to go through a door or something. There's usually a reason why this occurs. And I have seen odd situations, but never any that weren't prewarned. With constant positioning feed back, I just don't see how this occurs. I would be more incline to trust the robot then a roller coaster. We take risk getting out of bed in the morning.
MAN, this ride would be like King Kong having his rip on you and shaking you in every direction.

glaverty said:
He had to sign some document saying they weren't liable if windows crashed and decided to repeatedly slam his head into the ground.

Though exciting to see but what you said is extremely scaring to think. It means that the maker of this had nothing more option for the safety when the windows crashed. Maybe he will put some foam on the floor, but I don't think so it will work out once that arm suddenly slammed to the floor. :(

I've actually tried the Kuka Robot and I did the Programme myself. In Legoland DK they got 10 of these Robots, and while you que, you do your own Programme, you can select 5 levels of "Wild" fron Wild to Extreme Wild and then select bricks ( it is Legoland ) with diffent moves. And I will tell you, "Extreme Wild" is wild :D :D :D

But when the fun is over, I'm wonder how they manage the safety issue.

I talked to the programmer of the KUKA RoboCoaster.

He told me they had to buy 2 sets of crash test dummies. The first set were given a ride on the ROBO Coaster with Speed and accel set to max. When the the ride? finished the G forces had ripped off all the limbs from the torso.

They have slowed it down.

I still want to ride it though.

"What's the worst that could happen" ;)

lolis

"What's the worst that could happen"

Are you kidding me?

Most SIX AXIS robots can reach and TOUCH the ground. That thing could smack you on the ground a few times and you wouldn't even know it.

*giving them the benifit of the doubt*

I would hope they would have install some "Z" axis HARD STOPS on the arm so that it could never reach the floor.....