SLC 505/PanelView 1000

ttran

Hi. I have a SLC 505 that has a PanelView 1000 connected to it. The keys for the panelview are worn out and you can't see them much anymore. My client wants to get an industrial keypad to connect to it. I was wondering how would you connect the keypad, to the processor, or to the panelview? Are there going to be some code changes that need to be made? The keys are mapped to certain addresses in the code, and if we install the new keypad, will it still communicate to both the processor and the panelview? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

This is unlikely to work. Those keys don't trigger individual PLC addresses per key, instead they are inputs to the PanelView's application program. They could be used in dozens of places in the program.

It will be cheaper to get the PanelView terminal repaired, which will entail replacing the bezel.

(also; PanelView Plus units *can* use external, replaceable USB keyboards, keypads, or mice !)

Thanks Ken. I've found out that certain panelviews have a keyboard/bar scanner port in the back. If we were to plug in an external keyboard, will the panelview (PanelView 1000e) recognize it as its own keypad?