Reading Micrologix 1400 data log records

ScottW

Greetings, Long time troller, first time poster....

I'm currently working with a network (Ethernet via IP radios) of about 50 Micrologix 1400 PLC's that form that heart of a SCADA system dispersed over about 9000 acres. I have been using the Data Logging function of the 1400 to store data at each individual site. This is convenient and in some cases necessary to preserve records as both power and RF communications are a bit spotty at times. Each PLC can store about 2 days worth of records if it gets isolated from the network.

The problem is, that retrieving records from all 50 systems using the Rockwell Automation Utility is cumbersome and not scaling well. I've found some obscure info on how to do this programatically but I'm also not seeing many examples of success as I troll these forms.

So the the question I'm submitting is thus: Has anyone had any success in reading a data record(s) from a 1400 using any other tools rather than the free utility? If so, would you please share and advise?

Thanks

I've found some success using python and the pycomm3 library.

After a bit of reverse engineering, I was able to create a data log read function in the slc_driver.py file.
You can see my fork here:
https://github.com/ddeckerCPF/pycomm3

This function is intended to get the all the records stored in the queue not just a portion of them.
There is in issue with the datalog functionality in ml1400 where if you read the entire contents of the memory it still holds the last entry. The function does an extra read at the end to ensure the queue is clear after.

Attached is a simple python program to read the queue. The only arguments required are the number of things in the queue and the queue number to be read.