Create modified FactoryTalk tag database in advance

dougpke

Greetings:
I am moving a large SLC program to the CompactLogix platform, and would like to have the FactoryTalk tag database modified and ready when the processor swap takes place. Any ideas how this could be done, so I could come in on a Sunday, swap the processors, and, for example: have a FT tag database ready to go, with the N7:50 tags already converted to N7[50], etc..... Thank you in advance

So I used the Tag and Export Wizard in the tools menu in FactoryTalk View Studio, opened the CSV file and edited all of the tag addresses in Excel to reflect the new processor name and addresses, and then saved the file as a CSV file, giving it a new name. I then imported it back into Studio using the new renamed CSV file, and it reports success with no errors. But when I open the tag database in Studio, none of the tag addresses have changed. Am I missing something really stupid here? :eek:
Save

Different technique, but you can map all the tags as PLC5/SLC style in the new processor and leave the PanelView alone. I don't typically do that, but you could...

I actually tried both update and skip, and achieved the same result in each case. This is a FactoryTalk View SE migration from a SLC5 to a CompactLogix controller. I saved the original export as Project-SLCTags.CSV and the edited version as Project-5000Tags.CSV to be able to revert back, but obviously, there's no reason to revert back if nothing changes..... The only thing that I have noticed that might possibly have some bearing on it was that when I saved my edits, I selected MSDOS CSV, I did not notice the plain CSV file type. But then again, It processed the import with no errors every time.....

I probably should add that business is good, so I will not be able to try again until the next Sunday, when production is once again down..... They frown upon downtime resulting from experiments around here..... :whistle: Not that I have ever done such a thing.....
Save

Are you exporting and importing in the same software package? Like are you exporting from View32 and importing to SE? Or is it the same in both instances.

Yes. Both the SLC and the replacement CompactLogix are operating under FactoryTalk View SE, The tag database is being exported out of FactoryTalk Studio, and right back in under the same Tools menu. Just trying to change the : and / to [] & .

That is rather odd...

If you can't figure anything else out, you could always try renaming the old program and then making a new program with the correct name and importing the tags into that as a test. If they come in with the correct new format, you could import the screens etc from the old program and go from there.