"Cheap" HMI's that are worth the development costs

I have a customer who wanted to experiment with TIA portal with 1500 PLCs and comfort panels with WinCC.

This gave me my first ever chance to commission a system using both in TIA. I enjoyed it, it was a challenge getting what they wanted to do into a PLC. It really is a system more designed for a PC based solution, but needs must. It is basically a BMS system with manual intervention from the user and lots of custom messaging to a host in XML which manages work orders for the staff.

However, despite me telling them this at the start, the PLC and HMI combo has proved too expensive to roll out throughout their business and they are now looking for cost savings. They have a 1500 PLC on the shelf for their second site and I had the foresight for this to happen so did 0 scripting in the HMI and all the "hard" work in the PLC. This means moving HMI should be fairly painless as it is just a data display and user interface, if double expensive as I have to redraw everything for them, but time is cheap (ish).

Problem is finding a decent HMI which is around the 12" mark up to 15" ideally which isn't too expensive and is also not a complete nightmare to use. Looking for less than £1000 ideally, connected on TCP/IP (or profinet if that is an only option) with enough tags to draw maybe 10 screens with 80 or 90 variables per screen. They get about 30% discount on siemens kit so a 12" basic is almost within price range if you squint a bit.

Anyone had much experience with "budget" HMIs and any recommendations? Or should I convince them to go for the basic simatic panels or even the smaller comfort panels?

Have a look at the offerings from Weintek

Sometimes a bit quirky in the way they do things but overall great value for money.

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with the little C-more PLC from Automation Direct.

They work great, easy to program, and cost about half the price of everyone else (correct me if I'm wrong).

Hope that helps!

Cheers guys. Despite some years away this place never fails to deliver.

Have a look at the offerings from Weintek

Sometimes a bit quirky in the way they do things but overall great value for money.
Yea you know I have used these before and they are very cost effective. I had forgotten they even existed. Will investigate

Any idea if they are available UK side and are any good at all? Websites alone doesnt convince me it will be any good.

If the panel is just to display values generated in the PLC, then a basic panel should be enough.
What is the interaction with a keyboard like on the basic panels? Do you get an onscreen keyboard?

If you want Weintek, contact Lamonde Automation in Surrey as they are the UK distributor. I get all my screens from them.

Don't think Advanced HMI has a Siemens driver.

Last time I looked it didn't. But it does understand Modbus and the S7-1500 has a Modbus Master software available for it. That would be a possibility, I guess, although far from straightforward.

Any idea if they are available UK side and are any good at all? Websites alone doesnt convince me it will be any good.

The beauty of AdvancedHMI is that you don't have to buy hardware from them and use the software for free. It's definitely worth a try.

Not that I've done this, but would the S7-1500 be man enough to run your HMI as a web server and you'd only have to worry about finding a PC with a web browser?

Last time I looked it didn't. But it does understand Modbus and the S7-1500 has a Modbus Master software available for it. That would be a possibility, I guess, although far from straightforward.

The beauty of AdvancedHMI is that you don't have to buy hardware from them and use the software for free. It's definitely worth a try.

Not that I've done this, but would the S7-1500 be man enough to run your HMI as a web server and you'd only have to worry about finding a PC with a web browser?

It might be... however there are about 15 HMI around the building all need to be their own screens. So I think that might be stretching it.

The Modbus master idea is cute and would work, but I feel they wont go for it and to be honest I dont like the idea of it to save a few quid on a job they have already spent enough on.