Scaling using y=mx+b – a “no-math” shortcut ...

FYI, just in case

When reading a thread if you look at the bottom of the page you will see in Thread tools "Show printable version". Click on that and plcs.net provides a printable copy, you can then use something like pdf995 to print it to a pdf file. Will have all the replys but will offer all the info that is available. As an example I made this thread into a pdf:
http://www.patchn.com/scalingy=mx+b-a.pdf

your PDFs are ready ...

Greetings to all,

for those of you who aren't already sick and tired of "scaling", I went ahead and posted a PDF of this discussion on the company website ... the boss said “do it ... it drives up our Google numbers” or something like that ... anyway, I added a new "standard math" method to the end of the discussion which is another (better?) way of handling the “shifted x-axis” problem ... and I corrected a couple of minor typo’s in the math work for the original examples ...

the handy “roll your own PDF” trick that Ron Doran posted will work fine ... but the PDF on the website is cleaned up (no forum page breaks, margin lines, etc.) and I clipped out the replies to make it as readable as possible ... even with the clipping, it still runs over 40 pages of text and figures ... I broke the PDF into “Part 1” and “Part 2” so that the download (hopefully) won’t time out on you ...

so if you're interested in a copy, look in the “Sample Lesson” index at the bottom of the first “training” page ... fancy menus and other website “glitz and glitter” are on order ... please let me know if you have any problem with downloading ...

PS edit ... if your browser works like mine does, then the graphics in the figures are "cleaned up" quite a bit when they're printed on paper ...

Last edited:
Thanks again Ron.

Ron... You da man!!!How do you sleep at night with a brain that big?
but if someday (God forbid) I can’t teach on my feet anymore, then maybe I’ll start writing a book ... you gotta do what you gotta do ...
Almost makes me want to kick you in one of your bad knees {just kidding} :D

Later ToddM

This is great stuff Ron!

I've been teaching slope and intercept for years, but never on this level!
You managed to touch on Trig concepts without ever mentioning the Sine, Cosine, and Tangent values you were dealing with.

With your permission, I will read and re-read your document until your down to earth teaching methods are second nature to me. Thanks for this wonderful document. I can see the sweat that went into making it.

Joey Herring
Albany Georgia

for ravisashi ...

i dont know how to thank you!

just go forth - and do good things ...

for DJM ...

With your permission, I will read and re-read your document ...

permission granted ...

and just in case you haven’t found it yet, the same material in this forum thread is available as a handy PDF file - suitable for printing ... well, actually it was so long and bulky that I turned it into two files for easier downloading ... click here for Part 1 ... click here for Part 2 ...

and finally, thank you both for the kind compliments ... I’m glad I was able to help ...

Ron

Great explanation

Just finished doing some autoclave machine projects and have been using the ab micrologix 1200 and analog input module, and your article was just what I was looking for.

Have used omron, ab, siemens, automation direct and mitsubishi, and have not run across anything that explains the scaling the way you have done it here.

thanks

old thread alert ...

sorry to dredge up this old thread - but it's just been pointed out to me that the links to the PDF files in Post #37 no longer work ... that's because the files were originally hosted on my employer's computer ... (times have changed) ...

anyone interested in downloading the information in this thread in a PDF format should be able to do that from my own company website ... just click the link under my forum signature (below) and navigate to the "Sample Lessons" page from there ... no registration or user information is ever required ...

Last edited:
That was intense.Makes my head hurt.
Question can that calculator get a pic driver working in xp sp2

Nice blast from the past Ron. I had to 'roll my own" Scaling function awhile back and used that math. If you remeber the formula then you good to go.

for ravisashi ...

just go forth - and do good things ...

for DJM ...

permission granted ...

and just in case you haven’t found it yet, the same material in this forum thread is available as a handy PDF file - suitable for printing ... well, actually it was so long and bulky that I turned it into two files for easier downloading ... click here for Part 1 ... click here for Part 2 ...

and finally, thank you both for the kind compliments ... I’m glad I was able to help ...

Ron Many thanks for the wright up I can realy see the passion that you have when you are teaching.
I read everything that you and others have typed. Thank you very much for all your hard work!!! 🍻

I created the formula in excel pretty easily. No calculator required

I would Like to thank you to Elake for the Excel based calculator. Being in the uk its not easy to get one of them calculators there is only 1 on e-bay and that was a bit on the pricy side.

Sorry for reviving an old thread but I realey think that its deserved.

Many thanks again.
Steve:beerchug:

Greetings Steve ...

thank you for your post ... I'm glad you found the material helpful ...

I noticed that the original links are no longer valid - but you can still download the information from the Sample Lessons page of my website ... just click the link in my signature below this post to get started ...

Greetings Steve ...

thank you for your post ... I'm glad you found the material helpful ...

I noticed that the original links are no longer valid - but you can still download the information from the Sample Lessons page of my website ... just click the link in my signature below this post to get started ...

Hi Ron,

No Problem I did find the PDF Documents and I had a quick look at your PID Books as well. I am currentley Self teaching my self on an SLC 5/03.
I have created a Program that can run someting that we use at work in waste water treatment called a Gravity Belt Thickener (Aqua Belt) I have enjoyed doing that. I also have done Daylight Hours program and done an average over the last few days. All is working realey well.
My next one is tackling the analog side of things. And because I use Software version Os 301 it dont have the SCP command but the Os 302 does. So this was very very intresting to read.

But I do have one questian will Elake20's Excel file work?

Many thanks for the reply Ron 🍻
Steve