Panel View w/ Devicenet

JeffB

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello,

My current project calls for using an A/B Panel View configured for Devicenet communication and a SLC 5/04. This is the first time I've used a Panel View configured for Devicenet. Am I limited to 32 words of I/O? Is it possible for me to access the SLC data table directly from the P.V.?

Also, I'm considering using the COS "change of state" protocol to communicate with the SLC. Would this be appropiate for an application that uses a PV to emulate push buttons and selector swithes?

Thanks for any and all replys,

Jeff

Last edited:
Get ready for a surprise; the DeviceNet PanelView is a lot more like the Remote I/O units than it is like the DH-485 or DH+ ones.

You can't directly access the controller's data table; the B:xx and N:xx addresses you're familiar with in the SLC won't be accessible.

Instead, the PanelView exchanges a block of I/O data with the 1747-SDN, that you configure in RSNetworx for DeviceNet. I almost always use Change-of-State for this connection, because it saves on bandwidth and that's important, because it's usually a fairly big connection.

The DNet PanelViews make up for their less elegant exchange of data with the scanner module by having terrific abilities to interact with other devices on the network. You can set up "listen only" connections to consume data going from slave devices to the controller, as well as explicit message tags to extract data from devices like drives and overload relays directly.

I wish the PanelView firmware designers had given it the ability to use the explicit message services "Get Member" and "Set Member" so it could randomly access parts of the 1747-SDN discrete and M0/M1 data files. As it is, if you define an explicit message to the scanner you have to read the whole darn data table.

The 1747-SDN can also send explicit messages to the PanelView's Explicit Server connection memory, similar to the way that a Remote I/O PanelView gets Block Transfers from a PLC-5 or SLC. Those messages are a little difficult to format the first time you try; get an example or some help sending Explicit Message instructions.