Implementing S88: Control Panel Equipment?

JeremyM

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

For the sake of organization and consistency would it make sense to group devices found in the unit's control panel (E-stop/safety digital inputs, panel temperature, pushbuttons, air conditioner feedback, MCB breaker feedback, and so on [i.e. things not actually related to the process]) into their own equipment module in the hierarchy? Or should each of these just exist as independent CMs at the unit level?

Thanks!

Good reasoning, that conclusion was where I was leaning.

How deep do the hierarchies typically go?

So far, we have [Cell] -> [Unit] -> [EM] -> [EM] -> [Some grouped CMs]

Last edited:
G
How deep do the hierarchies typically go?

So far, we have [Cell] -> [Unit] -> [EM] -> [EM] -> [Some grouped CMs]

Fair to say most batch process are 1 Unit, 0 to Many EMs, Many CMs.

Something like a brewery might be considered a cell with multiple units ( Mashing, Lautering, Boiling...etc). Going too deep will likely make your batch recipe management more complicated, perhaps that's necessary, perhaps not. It's also fair to say EM usage is always debatable and entirely dependent on the flexibility of the process equipment you have to control. You have to find a balance of batch control w/batch recipe management.

I generally use EMs if the control needs to remain active even after the batch control has completed. Such has tank jacket temperature or agitation. Also EMs are used if I have to share a common piece of equipment such as an option of material/product transfer lines.

I tend to let my phases directly control CMs to eliminate an extra layer where possible.

While your control panel components don't directly control equipment, their states will have an impact on the procedural execution and should be monitored appropriately in your phase logic.

I'm struggling with another point of implementation: product temperature sensors that exist outside of any other EM in that they are used at the end of the machine unit itself.

They are shipped and fixed to a particular part of the machine, but there's no other control (or capability) there.

Should these be grouped as an EM or just stand-alone?

Last edited: