Help please with programming a timer value that depends on a conveyor speed

Jim_cz

I have a conveyor whose speed varies between 20 and 50Hz through a PLC (HMI). I need to program a code with a timer whose value will vary between 10 and 4 seconds inversely proportionally to the speed of the conveyor. That means, when the speed will be 20Hz the timer will need to start timing from 10s and when the speed will be 50Hz the timer needs to have 4s.

Any tip please how I can program it with Omron PLC?

It is simple maths you could "roll your own".

I don't know the Omron instruction set, is there something like a "Scale with Parameters" or just a "Scale" instruction.

Most (from other manufacturers) will work with inverse parameters.

If its linear then just do scaling where 20-50=10-4. Lookup a standard scale block online, in AB land it's a SCP (Scale with Parameters) instruction. But the math is simple.

Just as a note, the Scale With Parameters suggestions probably would not have worked since this is an inverse relationship, as Jim_cz noted, and not a linear one.

Just as a note, the Scale With Parameters suggestions probably would not have worked since this is an inverse relationship, as Jim_cz noted, and not a linear one.

It would still be linear, Bernie, even though it is "inverted".

Also I would suggest that the math involved with "rolling your own" SCP (if you had to), would most likely work in any processor that can handle negative numbers. Certainly works fine in Allen-Bradley controllers.

It would still be linear, Bernie, even though it is "inverted".

Also I would suggest that the math involved with "rolling your own" SCP (if you had to), would most likely work in any processor that can handle negative numbers. Certainly works fine in Allen-Bradley controllers.

I think you missed the words "inversely proportional" in the topic?

If it'd be linear (directly proportional), it would look like this

y=-0.2x+14
x=Hz
y=seconds

inversely proportional isn't linear:
y=200/x

The OP was obviously looking for a timer preset such that the conveyor would travel the same distance as timed by the timer for various speeds. Check for that relationship with the output from a scale function. Multiply the output by the input for all the settings and see if you get a constant.

I think you missed the words "inversely proportional" in the topic?

If it'd be linear (directly proportional), it would look like this

y=-0.2x+14
x=Hz
y=seconds

inversely proportional isn't linear:
y=200/x

Of course it is.....

I didn't miss anything.

"Linear" is to do with the scale factor value, which can be positive or negative, and if that scale remains constant, then the relationship is "linear". If the scaling factor changes in any way, the relationship becomes "non-linear".

Linear means "straight-line" and a straight line is produced if m is kept a constant in the scaling equation y = mx + c

If m is kept a constant, it can be positive, to give "proportional", or negative, to give "inversely proportional".

The "proportional" part of the description is the scaling, and if you don't say "inversely" y increases as x increases. When you add "inversely", y will decrease as x increases.

Proportional and Inversely Proportional are both Linear.