PLC 2 - 6200 to AI Series - Logic Conversion

spartacus06

Hello All,

I am working on an upgrade project to go from a PLC2 to the Logix5000 platform. I am having trouble opening some old backup files which are listed as:
PR1, XD$, XO$, AC$, etc. which are 6200 files.

I have copy of the AI2 v6.25 and was hoping to convert these files over to look over the code & possibly go online with the processor.

If there are any gurus :geek:, please feel free to offer any advice.

Thank you

I know you can convert PLC 5 files created in 6200 using RSLogix 5. You may give it a try using it if you have one.

Or zip it and post here, if you do not have it.

Regards

Step 1. use the plc 2 to plc 5 conversion software if your distributor has a copy. its not a direct conversion, there are some things required for the plc 2 logic so that the conversion software works correctly.
please note that in a plc2, you can use the outputs as a bit, just like a b3/23 bit, so you have to know your plc I/O.

step 2. import into plc 5 and compile it to see if it works and correct any errors.

step 3. import into logix 5000.

hope this helps,
james

Thanks James. I've never hooked up a PLC2 controller, but if I'm able to do so can i upload the program with comments/descriptions?

PLC-2 did not store descriptions and comments in the processor so uploading anything but the raw ladder code is not possible. I think you're going to have difficulty with PLC2-to-PLC 5 then PLC5-to-RSL500 translations; quite a bit of information will be lost. Seriously, I would do this manually. You'll get a very good feel of how the logic works which can help when it gets commissioned.

I was able to find a copy of the 6200 programming software, but I do not see a communication selection for the 1784 pcmk card. Does anyone know if this card can be configured with this software?

Last edited:
Can I go online with the AI software without the ladder file? I tried saving a blank .lad file, to upload the program but I am not having any success. The program recognizes the PCMK card but does not show the PLC2/16 in the DH+ diagnostics. It only displays, cannot go online if plc is currently making edits