Always Having To Shutoff Wifi?

kevilay

Hello Guys,

This has been an issue that has been annoying me for a while. I am using windows 10 and when I connect to PLC's, cameras and other devices most of the time with my WIFI on I will not be able to connect to devices. I can shut it off and then I am good to go. I am using a proper IP address on the subnet of my machine. Do you guys know why this happens? I would like to keep wifi on to have access to the internet while on a LAN connection with the machine.

Thanks,

Its strange, even if my wifi is on but is not connected to anything it still acts the same way. All the laptops at my work are having this same issue

I had that problem with XP.

It went away in Windows 7.

Some Microsoft cube rat used old code in Windows 10, reviving the XP bug.

To explain why this is in a very simplistic way: (I know this is not exactly correct, but it serves to demonstrate the point without getting all into the deep technical murk.)

Windows is stupid with networking. Seriously. It can't tell which Network Card (NIC) originates or responds when multiple NICs are on the same logical IP subnet. IE 192.168.1.x 255.255.255.0 This is a flaw that has been in the network stack since the dawn of time, or at least since Windows first started being able to be on a network.

So if you have two network cards with the same IP subnetting, Windows just tosses the request or response to a seemingly random card. It might be the one you want or it might not be. If the subnetting is different and both cards are targeting different logical networks everything will work as expected. IE 192.168.1.x 255.255.255.0 vs 192.168.2.x 255.255.255.0

The issue comes in when the card doesn't happen to be the one that was originally targeted or the second NIC is connected to a different physical network that shares the same subnetting as the other NIC.

If the NIC is on the same network the end device goes stupid wondering; "Why is this stranger talking to me? I never talked to him and I don't know him so I will just toss this packet on the floor. That'll teach him to initiate a rude conversation." So your conversation that you wanted to have is gone and typically your program throws an error or goes into a long timeout state waiting for a response that will never come.

If the NIC is on a separate physical network, well... logic dictates that it's pretty obvious that you will never get a response.

TLDR;

The answer to the issue as stated before is either:

a) Disable one of the NICs.
b) Bridge the networks so they seem like one NIC.

Hope this sheds some light onto why this happens.