Siemens S7-200 communications

fredjohns

We recently got another piece of equipment in from one of our plants that is closing and yet again it is something we dont already have. The machine contains a Siemens 27-200 PLC/CPU212
In a box that came with the machine the folowing came along:

Software: STEP7-Micro/WIN 16, Vers. 2.11
Communications Cable: Siemens PC/PPI Cable

The cable has 6 dip switches on it.
Switches 1-3 configure the baud rate which was set for 9.6K
Switch 4 is 10 or 11 bit. It was set for 11 bit
Switch 5 is DTE or DCE and is set for DCE

I have no what the program that is in the PLC looks like or how it is set up. Does anyone have any advice on the best DIP switch settings on the PC/PPI cable for me to be able to communicate with the PLC.

I left all the communications cable switch setting the way they were when the machine came in and went into the software and clicked on Setup and then on Communications:

The communications window showed the following
PC/PPI Cable
Local Station Address: 0
Transmission Rate: 9.6kbps
Com Port: 1
Remote Station Address; 2

when I click on TEST SETUP it shows communicaton failure.

Any suggestions anyone might have will be greatly appreciated. All i want to do is be able to connect to the PLC and copy the program that is loaded in it just in case there are problems in the future.

Thanks
Fred Johns
Day Timer, Inc.
www.daytimer.com

Try it with all DIP Switch 2 ON and remaining in OFF position. This should set the Baud Rate to 9.6Kbps in PPI mode. If that doesn't work then turn Switch 2 OFF and Switch 3 ON for 19.2Kbps baud rate.

I started with MicroWin 3.0 so am not sure of what you can do with 2.11. Before I get to the possible bad news, try putting the DIPs back to 'as received' and go into Communications, instead of using 9600 baud, try 19200 baud. Obviously confirm that you are using COM1, on my old PCs COM1 was used for the mouse and COM2 was my spare RS232.

The possible bad news is here on the Siemens website, version 2.11 of MicroWin was only compatible with Windows NT 4.0. Worst case, you have to get a new version of MicroWin which will be about $300.

Bryan