Plc programming job question

Lc1

Hi,
I have a question about plc programming as a second job and whether anyone currently does this. I work full time for a company (not plc programming ) but would like to do small programming jobs either at night or the weekends. Does anyone have any advice as to how to go about this?

Thanks

Like any programming, the final debugging is essential.

If you do a PLC program at home and then you do not have the opportunity to test it in the field, in the final installation, next to the machine, it is almost impossible that it works at the first time.

It would also be quite important that you had some experience in issues related to industrial automation, for example electrical diagrams.

Thanks for the reply. I would be willing to attend site for final installation/ updates but was just curious if this workwould be available on an evening/ weekend basis if the modifications were small enough ?

Thanks

Liability insurance is ESSENTIAL if you pursue this. I’ve seen guys get their world’s virtually destroyed by lawsuits for programming that causes equipment damage, or, God forbid, personal injury or worse. Be very careful how you proceed!

Do you think they will wait for you on the final installation site outside normal working hours so you can go to work?

Also as MasterBlaster says you must comply with the legal requirements to do the job. Normally many companies will ask you to show these documents to be able to work for them.

What's your day job & What is your level of expertise?

If it is connected in anyway i.e. a maintenance engineer, then there is your route into PLC programming if thats what you want.

If you're a hairdresser or estate agent for example and this is to help out with the mortgage, then I honestly can't see anyone being your customer if you are not available during production hours.

Any factory can train any half decent maintenance guy to program a cheap plc and drive to run a conveyor, you won't be retiring on that kind of work anytime soon.

If on the other hand, you had a big hand in the programming of Sizewell and just wanted to do something different, then, yes I could see some mileage.

Unless you are already have a track record at the facility you're planning to do the work for, I don't see how you'll find much work under those conditions. You're going to have to deliver your work to someone who probably works the day shift. Why would you expect that person to stay late to supervise you and make sure you deliver what you promised? If the production line doesn't normally run at night, can you test to make sure your modifications work as planned without disrupting something else? How are you going to handle it when the production manager calls you at your day job to tell you that the changes you made last night are causing the line to put Nair labels on the bottles of Rogaine?

Hi,
My day job is in the EC&I industry, we just don’t get involved in the programming side of things. I have attended courses and if you don’t use it you lose it, so was looking to gain further knowledge in this area, that’s why I was thinking of small jobs. If it did happen everything would be done professionally as mentioned above about insurance etc.

Thanks

You are trying to go down the wrong path.
Change job where you are needed to program and design.
Out of hours is for call-outs and leisure.

All the guys above have done the job for years and know what's involved.

I'm going to throw a slightly different perspective out there...

You want to get into programming. Your current employer works in a closely related field, but does not provide a pathway for where you want to get to.

Very few companies will take you on as a programmer just because you want to do it and you've gone to some courses. So if you want to pursue this as a career, you have two real options:

1. Find a different job that will initially have you still on the tools, working in the same type of role you currently have, but does have a pathway into programming; or
2. Do exactly what you suggest and then in 6-12 months time start applying for programming roles with some real-world experience under your belt

Option 1 would be ideal is it's less risky for you and potential employers, but jobs like that can be hard to find. Option 2 will be a lot harder on you (giving up leisure time and working two jobs) but if you have a plan and a goal in mind then the short term pain could definitely be worth the long term gain.

My company has been trying to recruit a new programmer for almost 12 months. There's a real shortage at the moment. If we found a guy who had worked on the tools for several years, decided he wanted to be a programmer, and took it upon himself to learn and get hands on experience in his own time, and had some successful projects to show for it, we'd hire him in a heartbeat. That sort of attitude shows what you're made of.

So I say, if it's what you want to do, and you're willing to put in the hard yards to get there, go for it.

As others have said though, don't forget to cover yourself. Go and see a professional and get some proper advice on insurance, accounting, etc etc. Like any other ladder, make sure you secure your career ladder before you start climbing it!

Just my 2 cents.

I've worked for companies that bring in programming like you mention. They do it for one of a few reasons:

1. Robots. We used to hire guys to set up the robots and write the code in the evenings. Then we would just touch up points.

2. Unusual PLCs - for us it was Siemens or mitsubishi. We always hired out the initial program and took over the run-off.

3. Programs for a company that have strict requirements. This was usually a guy who used to work for said company or had a lot of experience with how that company required their software to be programmed.

I'm going to throw a slightly different perspective out there...

You want to get into programming. Your current employer works in a closely related field, but does not provide a pathway for where you want to get to.

Very few companies will take you on as a programmer just because you want to do it and you've gone to some courses. So if you want to pursue this as a career, you have two real options:

1. Find a different job that will initially have you still on the tools, working in the same type of role you currently have, but does have a pathway into programming; or
2. Do exactly what you suggest and then in 6-12 months time start applying for programming roles with some real-world experience under your belt

Option 1 would be ideal is it's less risky for you and potential employers, but jobs like that can be hard to find. Option 2 will be a lot harder on you (giving up leisure time and working two jobs) but if you have a plan and a goal in mind then the short term pain could definitely be worth the long term gain.

My company has been trying to recruit a new programmer for almost 12 months. There's a real shortage at the moment. If we found a guy who had worked on the tools for several years, decided he wanted to be a programmer, and took it upon himself to learn and get hands on experience in his own time, and had some successful projects to show for it, we'd hire him in a heartbeat. That sort of attitude shows what you're made of.

So I say, if it's what you want to do, and you're willing to put in the hard yards to get there, go for it.

As others have said though, don't forget to cover yourself. Go and see a professional and get some proper advice on insurance, accounting, etc etc. Like any other ladder, make sure you secure your career ladder before you start climbing it!

Can I apply from the UK - do all the houses have swimming pools like on neighbours & do all the girls look like Kylie? If so, don't care about the salary!!

EDIT: Is it sunny alot like on telly?

Can I apply from the UK - do all the houses have swimming pools like on neighbours & do all the girls look like Kylie? If so, don't care about the salary!!

EDIT: Is it sunny alot like on telly?

cardosocea said:
I don't really care about Kylie or pools in the backyard, but if you sponsor a visa for me and the missus, I'm all ears

The job is in Queensland, which is marketed as the Sunshine State. An average of 261 sunny days per year. Most houses in Queensland do in fact have swimming pools and while I definitely can't promise you that all the girls look like Kylie, I can promise you that at least one looks even better but you're too late there because I married her already. I should probably warn you though that from December through February it's pretty standard to have daytime temperatures of high 30's - low 40's with humidity that'll make you sweat standing still in places you didn't even know you had sweat glands. At night it gets down to the low 30's though so it's not all bad.