learning Automation Direct PLCs

• Thread starter datastreamcowboy
  • Start date

datastreamcowboy

D
Im looking for a good resource to learn about programming for the DL205. Im a programmer (C++, Java, Perl, Korn, and Bash), and I also have a lot of electronics background. I have found out that AB's ladder is sequential from top to bottom, and Automation Direct is event driven. I would gladly help teach someone any of the computer langs i know in return of teching me PLC's. Or point me in a good direction would also be much appreciated.

In what sense do you mean "event driven". Basically the scan is just like AB. If you are referring to the RLL Plus capability, this just allows you to break up the program into selectable active and non-active regions (Stages). The scan through all active stages is still top to bottom.

I am not sure where you got that a Directlogic plc is event driven. It works just like most other plc's and is sequential top to bottom. Perhaps you read the chapter on Stage programming and came to this assumption, but even stage logic is sequential top to bottom.

You are at a great site for starting. Go to the top of the page and click on the "Online Tutorial" button. Phil also has a great book available as well.

Good Luck!

event driven

yes im refering to the RLL and the even being a switch being turned on/off. i could be wrong. I'm kinda new at this. but I was under the impression from talking to someone who only uses the AB micrologix stuff, that the DL205 uses different programming style. If im wrong please set me straight. What id really like to get my hands on is a book explaining the programming like a computer langauge book would.

First, start with generic PLC programming at this site. Then get the manual for the 205 CPU 205 Manual Read section 3, especially "CPU Operation" and "PLC Numbering Systems" for the differences in how the components (Inputs, Outputs, Control Relays, Timers, Counters) are referenced. Continue with section 5 for the Standard RLL instructions. Then refer to section 7 specifically for the information on the RLL Plus Stage Programming.