Ethernet PanelView with SLC5/05

Tim Ledwith

I have an application where a SLC5/05 controlling a borehole pump is communicating over a Radio Ethernet Link with a PC running Citect SCADA in a Remote Control Room. The Customer now wants to add some local HMI at the Pump site.
If I insert a managed Ethernet Switch between the SLC and the Radio Ethernet bridge, would I then be able to connect 2 Ethernet PanelViews into the system ?
Both PanelViews would be running the same project, one would be in the switchroom, the other would be sited adjacent to the pump.
Customer has specified PanelView 600, but I'm trying to talk him into PanelView Plus 700 models.
Reason I'm asking is that there have been a few threads recently on the Ethernet capabilities or otherwise of the SLC5/05, and I'm a little bit confused on what it can and can't do.

Thanks in advance, Tim.

Tim,

In my current project I have an SLC 5/05 talking to a Panelview 1000 over Ethernet and it is working fine. They are connected through an N-tron unmanaged switch. Setup was very easy, I just entered the IP address in the configuration screen and it was up and running. I like being able to program both units without swapping cables.

There are some complaints in this forum about the Ethernet Panelviews but those posts are several years old and I'm thinking they have the problems corrected in the newer firmware.

-John

I don't see why it wouldn't work. I have programmed a couple of stormwater lift stations using a SLC5/05 and PV+700. They are connected via a switch and I can easily connect my laptop to make program changes so the radio bridge shouldn't cause problems.
I have had a couple of problems with the PV+. One locked up kind of dead and we sent back for replacement. Now the new one would not come out of screen saver without cycling power. I just disabled the screensaver for now. The second lift station hasn't had issues.
We installed an Elpro 905U/E radio link for another application and had a couple of problems but everything is fine now.
John